Words — 100 found
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
- He gave a loud cry for help.
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to givePolite (teineigo)
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo), after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo), See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. to see; to look; to watch; to view; to observe
- Let's begin with the fifth line on page 10.
2. to look over; to look on; to assess; to examine; to judgeSee also 診る
- My head is swimming, so I'll try writing any-old stuff without any deep thought.
3. to look after; to keep an eye on; to take care ofUsually written using kana alone, See also 看る
- I can't look after my parents and such either.
4. to view (e.g. flowers, movie)usu. 観る
- い ？
- Would you like to take in a movie?
5. to try; to try out; to testUsually written using kana alone, usu. after a conative verb as 〜てみる
- May I put it on again?
6. to see that...; to find that...Usually written using kana alone, usu. after an aconative verb as 〜てみると, 〜てみれば, 〜てみたら, etc.
観る 【みる】、視る 【みる】
1. to go; to move (in a direction or towards a specific location); to head (towards); to be transported (towards); to reachSee also 来る くる
- おかあ 、
- Can I go swimming, Mother?
2. to proceed; to take placeSee also 旨く行く, い sometimes omitted in auxiliary use
- We'll have to try and make the best of it.
3. to pass through; to come and go
- These rules have been and always will be observed.
4. to walk
5. to die; to pass awayOnly applies to 逝く
6. to do (in a specific way)
7. to stream; to flow
8. to continue
9. to have an orgasm; to come; to cumUsually written using kana alone
10. to trip; to get high; to have a drug-induced hallucinationUsually written using kana alone, Slang
行く 【ゆく】、往く 【いく】、往く 【ゆく】、逝く 【いく】、逝く 【ゆく】
往く: Out-dated kanji. 往く: Out-dated kanji. 逝く: Out-dated kanji. 逝く: Out-dated kanji.
1. to finish; to end; to closealso written 了る, 卒る, etc.
終る 【おわる】、了わる 【おわる】、卒わる 【おわる】、畢わる 【おわる】、竟わる 【おわる】
1. to be (of animate objects); to existUsually written using kana alone, See also 在る
- Some have lost faith in democracy.
2. to stayUsually written using kana alone
- Which would you rather do, go to the cinema or stay at home?
3. verb indicating continuing action or state (i.e. to be ..ing, to have been ..ing)Usually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb, the い is sometimes dropped
- I haven't quite finished eating.
1. to put; to place
- Lay it on the table.
2. to leave (behind)
- As it happens, I have left the camera at home.
3. to establish (an organization, a facility, a position, etc.); to set up
4. to appoint (someone to a certain position); to hire; to employ
5. to place (one's trust, one's faith, etc); to bear (in mind etc)
6. to put down a tool (e.g. a pen) hence stopping what one is doing with that tool
7. to take in (boarders, etc.); to provide lodging in one's house
8. to separate spatially or temporally
9. to do something in advanceUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
- She always keeps her room clean.
10. to leave something in a certain state; to keep something in a certain stateUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
1. to take (a resource, e.g. time or money)Usually written using kana alone, See also 時間がかかる
- How long did it take you to collect so many coins?
2. to hangUsually written using kana alone
- There is a map on the wall.
3. to come into view; to arriveUsually written using kana alone, See also お目にかかる
4. to come under (a contract, a tax)Usually written using kana alone
- An income tax is levied on any income that exceeds deductions.
5. to start (engines, motors)Usually written using kana alone
- How can I start the engine?
6. to attend; to deal with; to handleUsually written using kana alone
- If your tooth hurts, you should see a dentist.
7. to have started to; to be on the verge ofUsually written using kana alone
- It's almost over.
8. to overlap (e.g. information in a manual); to coverUsually written using kana alone
9. to (come) atUsually written using kana alone
- The horse kicked at him when he approached it.
10. to be fastenedUsually written using kana alone, See also 鍵がかかる
- ねが 。
- Please make sure that your seat belt is securely fastened.
11. to be covered (e.g. with dust, a table-cloth, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- You must keep this machine free from dust.
12. to be caught inUsually written using kana alone, See also 罠にかかる
- か 。
- George was tricked into buying the land.
13. to get a callUsually written using kana alone, See also 電話が掛かる
- You have the wrong number.
14. to depend onUsually written using kana alone
- The team played hard because the championship of the state was at stake.
懸かる 【かかる】、掛る 【かかる】、懸る 【かかる】
1. to start; to begin; to commence; to initiate; to originate
- When did you begin playing golf?
2. to open (e.g. a store); to start up; to establish (business. etc.)
- はじ 。
- We three sisters opened a coffee shop.
3. to start ...; to begin to ...See also 為始める, after the -masu stem of a verb
- はじ 。
- The room started to spin after I drank too much.
1. to say; to tell; to state; to express; to offer; to extend (greetings, congratulations, etc.)Humble (kenjougo)
- I can never thank you enough.
2. to doHumble (kenjougo)
申上げる 【もうしあげる】、申しあげる 【もうしあげる】
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. to give; to let one have; to do for one; to be givenUsually written using kana alone, くれ is an irregular alternative imperative form
1. to continue; to keep up; to keep on
1. to cure; to healusu. 治す
- That doctor may cure him of his cancer.
2. to fix; to correct; to repairusu. 直す
- I will have repaired your watch by tomorrow.
3. to do over again (after -masu base of verb)usu. 直す
- The boy adjusted his cap.
4. to replace; to put back as it wasKansai dialect, usu. 直す
- Put back the book where you found it.
5. to convert (into a different state); to transformusu. 直す
- Put the following sentences into Japanese.
1. to be crowded; to be packed
- The roads are very crowded at this time of the day.
2. to be complexSee also 手の込んだ
3. to go into; to put into; to remain (seated); to be plunged into (silence); to do thoroughlyOnly applies to 込む
4. to do intentlyOnly applies to 込む
5. to continue in the same stateOnly applies to 込む
混む 【こむ】、籠む 【こむ】、篭む 【こむ】
籠む: Irregular kanji usage. 篭む: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to give; to offerHumble (kenjougo)
- "Can I help you?" "No, thank you. I'm just looking around."
2. to lift up; to hold up; to raiseHumble (kenjougo)
- さしあ 。
- He held the trophy up high.
差上げる 【さしあげる】、さし上げる 【さしあげる】
差上げる: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to finishOnly applies to 終える, Only applies to 了える
2. to graduate
了える 【おえる】、卒える 【おえる】
1. to finish; to stop; to end; to put an end to; to bring to a closeUsually written using kana alone
- I will call you when I have done my shopping.
2. to close (a business, etc.); to close down; to shut down; to shut upUsually written using kana alone
3. to put away; to put back; to keep; to storeUsually written using kana alone
- Put away your books and notebooks.
4. to finish ...; to do ... completelyUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb, indicates completion (and sometimes reluctance, regret, etc.)
- もど 。
- What is done cannot be undone.
終う 【しまう】、了う 【しまう】、蔵う 【しまう】
1. to receive; to take; to acceptUsually written using kana alone
- Well then, I'll have chicken.
2. to get somebody to do somethingUsually written using kana alone, follows a verb in "-te" form
- I will have him come here the day after tomorrow.
1. to get; to earn; to acquire; to procure; to gain; to secure; to attain; to obtain; to win獲る esp. refers to catching wild game, etc.
- あらそ 。
- Ten teams competed for the prize.
2. to understand; to comprehend
- え 。
- These gases can lead to global warming.
3. to receive something undesirable (e.g. a punishment); to get (ill)
1. to pass (time); to spend
2. to overdo (esp. of one's alcohol consumption); to drink (alcohol)
3. to take care of; to supportArchaism
4. to overdo; to do too much
5. to ... without acting on it
1. to receive; to get; to accept; to take; to buyHumble (kenjougo), Usually written using kana alone, See also 貰う
- Thank you for the time you spent with me during my visit to Atlanta.
2. to eat; to drinkHumble (kenjougo), Polite (teineigo), Usually written using kana alone
- いただ 」
- "Will you have some more coffee?" "No, thanks. I've had enough."
3. to be crowned with; to wear (on one's head); to have (on top)Usually written using kana alone, orig. meaning
4. to have (as one's leader); to live under (a ruler); to install (a president)Usually written using kana alone
5. to get somebody to do somethingHumble (kenjougo), Usually written using kana alone, See also 貰う もらう, follows a verb in "-te" form