Words — 7 found
1. to hang up (e.g. a coat, a picture on the wall); to let hang; to suspend (from); to hoist (e.g. sail); to raise (e.g. flag)Usually written using kana alone, See also 壁にかける
- Put your coat on a hanger.
2. to put on (e.g. a blanket); to put on top of; to cover; to lay; to spreadUsually written using kana alone
- The waitress spread a white cloth over the table.
3. to put on (glasses, etc.); to wear (a necklace, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 眼鏡を掛ける
- The lady wore a necklace of pearls.
4. to make (a call)Usually written using kana alone, See also 電話を掛ける
- Can I make a phone call for ten yen?
5. to spend (time, money); to expend; to useUsually written using kana alone, See also 時間を掛ける
- I hesitate to pay so much for a suit.
6. to pour (liquid) onto; to sprinkle (powder or spices) onto; to splash; to throw (e.g. water) ontoUsually written using kana alone, See also 塩をかける
- The cook hasn't put any on it.
7. to turn on (an engine, radio, etc.); to set (a dial, alarm clock, etc.); to put on (a DVD, song, etc.); to use (a device, implement, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
8. to cause (someone inconvenience, trouble, etc.); to burden (someone); to imposeUsually written using kana alone, See also 迷惑を掛ける
- もうしわけ 。
- I am sorry to trouble you so much.
9. to multiply (arithmetic operation)Mathematics, Usually written using kana alone
10. to secure (e.g. lock)Usually written using kana alone, See also 鍵を掛ける
11. to take a seat; to sit; to rest (something on something else); to support (something on something else)Usually written using kana alone, See also 腰を掛ける
12. to bindUsually written using kana alone, also as 繋ける
- Do up the box with decorative tape.
13. to wager; to bet; to risk; to stake; to gambleUsually written using kana alone, See also 賭ける かける
14. to put an effect (spell, anaesthetic, etc.) onUsually written using kana alone
- I'll bewitch him into a frog!
15. to hold (a play, festival, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
16. to hold an emotion for (pity, hope, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- Everybody showed sympathy toward the prisoner.
17. to argue (in court); to deliberate (in a meeting); to present (e.g. idea to a conference, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 裁判に掛ける
- The question is before the committee.
18. to increase furtherUsually written using kana alone
19. to catch (in a trap, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
20. to set atopUsually written using kana alone
21. to erect (a makeshift building)Usually written using kana alone
22. to apply (insurance)Usually written using kana alone, See also 保険を掛ける
- か 。
- The freight was insured against all risks.
23. to pun (on a word); to use (a word) as a pivot word; to play on wordsUsually written using kana alone, See also 掛詞
- But the farmer smiled at him.
25. to address (someone); to direct (something, to someone); to do (something, to someone)Usually written using kana alone, See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb; indicates an action is being directed to someone
1. to chip; to be chipped; to break (off); to be damaged
- か 。
- My back tooth has chipped.
2. to be missing (from a set, team, etc.); to be absent; to become lost
- The main thing that dreams lack is consistency.
3. to be lacking (in); to be short (of); to be deficient; to be wanting (in)
- かけ 。
- Mary is lacking in delicacy.
4. to wane (of the moon); to go into eclipseAntonym: 満ちる みちる, also 虧ける
缺ける 【かける】、闕ける 【かける】
1. to run; to dash; to race
- た 、
- With a pitter-patter of footsteps she runs off to the entrance.
2. to gallop (on horseback); to canter
3. to advance (against one's enemy); to charge (on horseback)Archaism
1. to wager; to bet; to risk; to stake; to gamble
1. to soar; to flyusu. 翔る. 翔ける, 一段 is unorthodox.
2. to run; to dashusu. 駆ける
駆ける 【かける】、翔ける 【かける】
翔ける: Irregular okurigana usage.