Words — 1017 found
1. hand; armSee also お手 おて, occ. pronounced た when a prefix
- I made motions at him to come here with my hand.
2. forepaw; forelegColloquialism, See also お手 おて
- Here is a pan without handles.
4. hand; worker; help
5. trouble; care; effort
6. means; way; trick; move; technique; workmanship
- おも 。
- I hit upon a good idea.
7. hand; handwriting
8. kind; type; sort
9. one's hands; one's possessionSee also 手に入る
- はい 。
- Books are now within the reach of everybody.
10. ability to copeSee also 手に余る
11. hand (of cards)
- くば 。
- I was dealt a good hand.
12. directionSee also 山の手
13. move (in go, shogi, etc.)
15. HandA hand is a prehensile, multi-fingered extremity located ... Read more
1. red; crimson; scarlet
- Don't cross the road while the signal is red.
2. red-containing colour (e.g. brown, pink, orange)
3. Red (i.e. communist)Colloquialism, often written as アカ
- It's only the anti-war pinkos who say things like Saddam isn't a threat.
4. red lightAbbreviation, See also 赤信号
6. complete; total; perfect; obviousSee also 赤の他人
7. copperOnly applies to 赤, See also 銅 どう
9. RedRed is any of a number of similar colors evoked by light ... Read more
紅 【あか】、朱 【あか】、緋 【あか】
緋: Out-dated kanji.
- Your site appeals to people who are interested in cats.
4. wheelbarrowAbbreviation, See also 猫車
5. clay bed-warmerAbbreviation, See also 猫火鉢
6. bottom; submissive partner of a homosexual relationshipUsually written using kana alone, Colloquialism, Antonym: タチ
7. CatThe domestic cat (Felis catus or Felis silvestris catus, ... Read more
1. box; case; chest; package; pack; crate
- あ 。
- Twist that knob to the right and the box will open.
2. car (of a train, etc.)
3. shamisen case; shamisen
4. public building; community buildingColloquialism, See also 箱物, often written as ハコ
5. man who carries a geisha's shamisenArchaism, See also 箱屋
6. receptacle for human waste; feces (faeces)Archaism
7. counter for boxes (or boxed objects)
8. BoxBox describes a variety of containers and receptacles for... Read more
函 【はこ】、匣 【はこ】、筥 【はこ】、筐 【はこ】、凾 【はこ】、ハコ
1. graduation; completion (e.g. of a course)
- い 。
- After he left school, he went to London.
2. outgrowing something; moving onColloquialism
- I feel I'm growing out of pop music.
3. GraduationGraduation is the action of receiving or conferring an ac... Read more
1. lie; fib; falsehood; untruth
- わ 。
- What he said turned out to be false.
2. mistake; error
- Oh my God, I can't believe this.
3. unwise move; bad decision
4. No way!; Unbelievable!; Really?!Colloquialism
5. LieTo lie is to hold something which one knows is not the wh... Read more
噓: Out-dated kanji.
1. tiger (Panthera tigris)
- If a tiger should come out of the cage, what would you do?
2. drunkard; drunk; sotColloquialism
3. TigerThe tiger (Panthera tigris) is the largest cat species, r... Read more
1. field (for fruits, vegetables, etc.); cultivated land; vegetable plot; kitchen garden; plantation
- When spring comes, they dig up the fields and plant seeds.
2. field (of specialization); sphere; areaOnly applies to はたけ, ばたけ when suf
- そだ 。
- He has had a long teaching career.
3. womb; birth; birthplaceColloquialism, Only applies to はたけ
4. Field (agriculture)In agriculture, the word field refers generally to an are... Read more
畑 【はた】、畠 【はたけ】、畠 【はた】
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. hut; cabin; shed; (animal) pen
2. small theatre (theater); temporary playhouse; circus tent; boothOnly applies to こや
3. one's own houseHumble (kenjougo), Colloquialism, esp. しょうおく
4. Hut (dwelling)A hut is a temporary shelter.
1. basement; cellar; underground place
- も 。
- The house has pipes under the ground to carry dirty water away.
2. underground; below ground
3. secret; under cover
- うたが 。
- He was suspected of underground action.
4. underground (railway); subway; metroColloquialism, Abbreviation
5. Subterranea (geography)Subterranea refers to underground structures, both natura... Read more
1. legume (esp. edible legumes or their seeds, such as beans, peas, pulses, etc.); beans; peas
- We roast just enough beans for the amount we're going to drink, and grind them in the coffee mill.
2. soya bean (Glycine max); soybean; soySee also 大豆
3. female genitalia (esp. the clitoris)Colloquialism
4. kidneyFood term, Colloquialism
5. miniature; tiny
7. BeanBean is a common name for large plant seeds of several ge... Read more
荳 【まめ】、菽 【まめ】
- What did the announcement just say?
2. how manyOnly applies to なん, See also 何か月, followed by a counter
- くら 、
- "No, not so much. At most comparing sizes, telling dirty stories." "Sizes of what?" "Of 'that'."
3. you-know-what; that
- I know you're at an age where sexual desire flourishes and you want to do 'you-know-what' with 'that' but... well, sit down there.
4. whatsit; what's the expression; what do you call them
5. what?expressing surprise
6. hey!expressing anger or irritability
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. there (place physically distant from both speaker and listener); over there; that place; yonderUsually written using kana alone, See also 何処, See also 此処, See also 其処
- み 。
- A form appeared from over there.
2. genitalsColloquialism, Only applies to あそこ, Only applies to あすこ
- せんせい 、
- Doctor, I've got an itch in my crotch.
3. that far (something psychologically distant from both speaker and listener); that much; that pointSee also あれほど
彼処 【あすこ】、彼処 【かしこ】、彼処 【あしこ】、彼処 【あこ】、彼所 【あそこ】、彼所 【あすこ】、彼所 【かしこ】、彼所 【あしこ】、彼所 【あこ】
あしこ: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. あこ: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. あしこ: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. あこ: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. autumn colours; fall colors; leaves changing color (colour)
- The leaves of the trees in the garden have turned completely red.
2. leaves turning red; red leavesOnly applies to 紅葉, Only applies to こうよう
- The leaves will turn red in two or three weeks.
3. leaves turning yellow; yellow leavesOnly applies to 黄葉, Only applies to こうよう
4. (Japanese) maple (Acer japonicum)Only applies to もみじ, See also 以呂波紅葉
5. venisonColloquialism, Only applies to もみじ
6. Autumn leaf colorAutumn leaf color is a phenomenon that affects the normal... Read more
紅葉 【もみじ】、黄葉 【こうよう】、黄葉 【もみじ】
1. to receive; to get
- うけ 。
- People of 65 and above get a pension from the government.
2. to catch (e.g. a ball)
3. to be struck by (wind, waves, sunlight, etc.)
4. to sustain (damage); to incur (a loss); to suffer (an injury); to feel (influence)
- う 。
- We received an eviction notice.
5. to undergo (e.g. surgery); to take (a test); to accept (a challenge)
- We gladly accept your offer.
6. to be given (e.g. life, talent)esp. 受ける, 享ける
7. to follow; to succeed; to be descended fromesp. 受ける, 享ける
8. to face (south, etc.)
9. to be modified bylinguistics terminology, esp. 受ける, 承ける
10. to obtain (a pawned item, etc.) by paying a feeSee also 請け出す, esp. 請ける, now primarily used in compound words
11. to be well-received; to become popular; to go down wellUsually written using kana alone, esp. ウケる, うける
- My joke went over very well.
12. to be funny; to be humorousColloquialism, Usually written using kana alone, esp. ウケる
請ける 【うける】、承ける 【うける】、享ける 【うける】、ウケる
1. air; atmosphere
2. mood; situationSee also 空気を読む くうきをよむ
3. someone with no presence; someone who doesn't stand out at allColloquialism
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. gas (state of matter, e.g. poison gas, natural gas)Usually written using kana alone, From Dutch; Flemish , From English
2. gasoline; gas; petrolUsually written using kana alone
3. dense fog; thick fogUsually written using kana alone
4. gas stove; gas cooker; gas rangeUsually written using kana alone, Abbreviation, See also ガス焜炉
5. flatulence; gas; wind; fartUsually written using kana alone, Colloquialism
瓦斯: Ateji (phonetic) reading.
1. counter for occurrences
- Some new kinds of rice can be harvested two or three times a year.
2. a time; an instance
- We have to win seven times in a row to win this tournament.
3. inning (baseball); round; game
4. episode; chapter; instalmentColloquialism
5. Hui (people)Abbreviation, See also 回族
6. IslamAbbreviation, See also 回教
1. cherry tree; cherry blossom
- They seem a little past their peak, but even so we enjoyed the beautiful cherry blossoms.
2. decoy; fake buyer; shillalso 偽客
3. hired applauder
4. horse meatColloquialism, See also 桜肉
櫻: Out-dated kanji.
1. time; season; period; phase; stage
- か 。
- The weather changes very often at this time of year.
2. soon; shortlyColloquialism, See also 直 じき, poss. typo for 直(じき)