Words — 94 found
1. to think; to consider; to believe; to reckon想う has connotations of heart-felt
2. to think (of doing); to plan (to do)
3. to judge; to assess; to regard
4. to imagine; to suppose; to dream
- We are never as happy or as unhappy as we imagine.
5. to expect; to look forward to
6. to feel; to be (in a state of mind); to desire; to want
7. to recall; to remember
想う 【おもう】、念う 【おもう】、憶う 【おもう】、懐う 【おもう】、惟う 【おもう】
1. to hold in one's arms (e.g. a baby); to embrace; to hugLiterary or formal term, See also 抱く だく
- That child felt secure in his mother's arms.
2. to have (a thought or feeling); to hold; to harbour (suspicion, doubt, etc.); to harbor; to bear (a grudge, ill will, etc.); to entertain (hope, illusions, etc.); to cherish (e.g. an ambition)
- The experience prejudiced her in favor of the Democratic Party.
1. dear (old); fondly-remembered; beloved; missed; nostalgic
1. electric torch; flashlight
2. FlashlightA flashlight (or torch in British English) is a hand-held... Read more
1. inside the breast of one's clothing (esp. kimono); bosom; (breast) pocket
- うけと 、
- はい 。
- The politician had sticky fingers, and 5% of every contract ended in his pocket.
2. space between one's chest and outstretched arms; (one's) reach
3. heart (e.g. of a mountain); bosom (e.g. of nature); depths; inner part
4. mind; heart; inner thoughts
- But God the only begotten Son, who is at the Father's side, has made him known.
5. money (one is carrying); purse; pocketbook
- One should always be careful in talking about one's finances.
懷: Out-dated kanji.
1. pocket heater; hand warmer; heater packUsually written using kana alone
2. Hand warmerHand warmers are small (mostly disposable) packets which ... Read more
1. friendly; affable; amiable; sociable; loving company; (animals) taking kindly to men
人なつっこい 【ひとなつっこい】、人懐こい 【ひとなつこい】、人なつこい 【ひとなつこい】
1. to become emotionally attached (to); to take (to)Usually written using kana alone, See also 懐かしい
懐く 【なずく】、懐く 【なづく】
なずく: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. なづく: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. with an open and calm mind; with no preconceived notions; without reserve; frank; candidYojijukugo (four character compound)
1. flush with money; having a full purse; having a full handbag
1. reminiscence; nostalgia; thinking fondly of the past; recalling the old days
1. tea-ceremony dishesSee also 会席料理
2. traditional Japanese meal brought in courses
1. speaking about (one's thoughts, memories, etc.); relating (one's feelings, reminiscences, etc.); recollection; reminiscence
1. even the hunter will refrain from killing the bird that has flown to him for shelterProverb
- あんがい 、
- きゅうちょうふところにいればりょうしもころ 、
- The boss is hard to get along with. But if I try to talk to him about problems I have at work he might have a little heart. Even a hunter can't kill a bird who flies to him for protection.