Words — 83 found
1. to hear
- You can hear English on Channel 1, and Japanese on Channel 7.
2. to listen (e.g. to music)esp. 聴く
- "Did you hear the lecture in that class yesterday?" asked the student.
3. to ask; to enquire; to query聴く is used in legal and official contexts
4. to hear about; to hear of; to learn of
5. to follow (advice, order, etc.); to obey; to listen to; to comply with
6. to hear (e.g. a plea); to grant (a request); to accept (e.g. an argument); to give consideration to
7. to smell (esp. incense); to sample (a fragrance)See also 香を聞く
8. to taste (alcohol); to tryalso 利く
1. to be effective; to take effect; to be good (for)See also 薬が効く, usu. 効く
- き 。
- These pills act on the heart.
2. to work; to function wellSee also 目が利く, usu. 利く for body senses, functions, etc.
- How dare you speak to me like that?
3. to be possible (to do, use, etc.); to be able toSee also 割引が効く
- My credit is good for 50,000 yen.
4. to taste (alcohol); to trySee also 聞く
Common word Links
1. care; attentiveness; attention; consideration (for others); solicitude
1. to turn a deaf ear to; to not listen to; to not get the message
1. you (primarily used by men in letters to their equals or inferiors)Polite (teineigo)
1. chrysanthemum flower
2. Chrysanthemum teaChrysanthemum tea is a flower-based tisane made from chry... Read more
1. greater horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus ferrumequinum)Usually written using kana alone
2. Greater Horseshoe BatThe Greater Horseshoe Bat (Rhinolophus ferrumequinum) is ... Read more
1. imperial chrysanthemum crest; imperial seal of Japan
2. Imperial Seal of JapanThe Imperial Seal of Japan, also called the Chrysanthemum... Read more
1. cloud ear mushroom (Auricularia auricula-judae); wood ear mushroom; Jew's ear mushroomUsually written using kana alone
2. Auricularia auricula-judaeAuricularia auricula-judae, known as the Jew's ear, jelly... Read more
1. goldcrest (species of passerine bird, Regulus regulus)Usually written using kana alone
2. GoldcrestThe Goldcrest, Regulus regulus, is a very small passerine... Read more
1. bark beetle (Scolytidae spp.)Usually written using kana alone
2. gribble (Limnoria lignorum)
3. Bark beetleThe unrelated sawyer beetles (Monochamus) and some other ... Read more
木食虫 【きくいむし】、木蠧虫 【きくいむし】、キクイムシ
1. Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus); topinambur; girasol; girasoleUsually written using kana alone
2. Jerusalem artichokeThe Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus), also call... Read more