Words — 24 found
1. (a) stop (e.g. in a timber joint, or at the end of a kanji stroke)
- たと 、ペパーバーグ
- み 。
- For example, Pepperberg would show Alex an object, such as a green wooden peg or a red paper triangle.
2. remaining (e.g. poste-restante)
3. forty-five degree angleOnly applies to 留め
1. to stop; to turn offesp. 止める, 停める
- もと 。
- The newspaper called for the government to stop inflation.
2. to parkesp. 止める, 停める
- This document is for your eyes only.
3. to prevent; to suppress (a cough); to hold back (tears); to hold (one's breath); to relieve (pain)esp. 止める, 停める
- くだ 。
- Please bear in mind what I said.
4. to stop (someone from doing something); to dissuade; to forbid; to prohibit
5. to notice; to be aware of; to concentrate on; to pay attention to; to remember; to bear in mindSee also 目を留める, See also 気に留める
- It's illegal to park your car here.
6. to fix (in place); to fasten; to tack; to pin; to nail; to button; to stapleesp. 留める
- とめ 。
- The wooden pieces are fastened with a peg.
7. to detain; to keep in custodyesp. 留める
留める 【とめる】、停める 【とめる】
1. to stop (an activity); to cease; to discontinue; to end; to quitUsually written using kana alone, Only applies to 止める, Only applies to 已める
2. to cancel; to abandon; to give up; to abolish; to abstain; to refrainUsually written using kana alone
已める 【やめる】、廃める 【やめる】
1. to stop; to stay (e.g. the night); to cease; to put an end to
2. to contain; to keep (in position, in place); to limit
- つづ 、
- We should keep every school open and every teacher in his job.
3. to record (e.g. a fact); to retainSee also 記憶にとどめる
- His courage went down in history.
止める 【とどめる】、停める 【とどめる】
Common word Links
1. endlessly; ceaselesslyUsually written using kana alone
止め処なく 【とめどなく】、止めど無く 【とめどなく】、止め処無く 【とめどなく】、とめど無く 【とめどなく】、留処無く 【とめどなく】
1. stop peg; toggle; tack
- He might, however, have seen a wooden peg of a different size or color.
留めくぎ 【とめくぎ】、止め釘 【とめくぎ】、留め釘 【とめくぎ】
1. to finish off; to ensure (something) is dead; to deliver the coup de grace
2. to put an end to; to deliver the final blow
3. to be the best for Aas ＡはＢに止めを刺す
1. to pass; to pass on; to give (something) a missUsually written using kana alone
2. to cut it out; to knock off (for the day); to let the matter dropUsually written using kana alone
1. last soup served in a kaiseki course (often miso soup)See also 会席料理
1. final cut severing a wrestler's top-knot in his retirement ceremonySumo