Words — 79 found
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to givePolite (teineigo), Only applies to 上げる
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)Only applies to 上げる
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo), after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo), See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. to rise; to go up; to come up; to ascend; to be raisedAntonym: 下がる
- It has been announced that railway fares will be raised by 10 percent starting on the first of March.
2. to enter (esp. from outdoors); to come in; to go in
- My father has just come out of the bath.
3. to enter (a school); to advance to the next grade
4. to get out (of water); to come ashore
- I always get nervous just before a match.
5. to increasealso written as 騰る in ref. to price
- Taxi fares will go up next month.
6. to improve; to make progress
7. to be promoted; to advance
8. to be made (of profit, etc.)
9. to occur (esp. of a favourable result)
10. to be adequate (to cover expenses, etc.)often as 〜で上がる
11. to be finished; to be done; to be over
- "Kaname, when can you leave?" "It's till closing so it takes till eight."
12. (of rain) to stop; to lift
- "Will it stop raining soon?" "I'm afraid not."
13. to stop (working properly); to cut out; to give out; to die
- よくじつ 、
- あが 。
- The next day the battery was flat again.
14. to win (in a card game, etc.)
15. to be arrestedOnly applies to 挙がる
16. to turn up (of evidence, etc.)Only applies to 挙がる
17. to be deep friedOnly applies to 揚がる
- こ 。
- Keiichi, the tempura's done, so bring a plate.
18. to be spoken loudly
- いっぽう 、小泉
- あ 。
- While welcoming the firming up of the present government policy to abandon the proposal of the reform bill to the Diet, at the same time some are worried that Prime Minister Koizumi won't clearly state the bill's withdrawal.
19. to get stage fright
- I never make a speech without being nervous.
20. to be offered (to the gods, etc.)
21. to go; to visitHumble (kenjougo)
- あ 。
- I will call for it tomorrow.
22. to eat; to drinkHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
23. to be listed (as a candidate)esp. 挙がる
24. to serve (in one's master's home)
25. to go northin Kyoto
26. to be complete; to finishSee also 出来上がる, after the -masu stem of a verb
揚がる 【あがる】、挙がる 【あがる】、上る 【あがる】
上る: Irregular okurigana usage.
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. rise; increase; ascentAntonym: 下がり
- The road climbed gradually.
2. income; proceeds; return; profit; crop yield
3. freshly-drawn green tea (esp. in sushi shops)Abbreviation, See also 上がり花
4. completion; stop; finish
5. end result (e.g. of crafts like painting, pottery, etc.); how something comes out
- The color has come out well.
6. after (rain, illness, etc.)
7. ex- (e.g. ex-bureaucrat); former
Common word Links
1. in the end (after a long process); finally; after all; at lastUsually written using kana alone, esp. 〜したあげく
2. last line (of a renga)See also 発句
挙げ句 【あげく】、揚げ句 【あげく】、揚句 【あげく】
1. raised leg; lifting a leg
2. upturn (in the market)Only applies to 上げ足, Only applies to 上足, Antonym: 下げ足
3. sitting cross-leggedArchaism
挙げ足 【あげあし】、上げ足 【あげあし】、揚足 【あげあし】、挙足 【あげあし】、上足 【あげあし】
1. false bottom; fake bottom; raised bottom; platform (shoes); kick (of a bottle)
2. exaggeration; overstatement
上げ底 【あげそこ】、揚げ底 【あげぞこ】、揚げ底 【あげそこ】、上底 【あげぞこ】、上底 【あげそこ】、揚底 【あげぞこ】、揚底 【あげそこ】
1. dynamic lift; lifting power
2. Lift (force)A fluid flowing past the surface of a body exerts surface... Read more
1. frying; fried food
2. aburaage; thin deep-fried slices of tofuAbbreviation, See also 油揚げ あぶらあげ
1. landing ship; amphibious warfare ship
2. Amphibious warfare shipAn amphibious warfare ship (or amphib) is a warship emplo... Read more
1. lightly deep-fried tofuFood term
2. Agedashi tofuAgedashi tofu (or agedashi dofu, 揚げ出し豆腐 Agedashi dōfu – s... Read more
1. pumped storage; pumped-storage power generation; pumping up generation; pumped-storage hydroelectricity; pumping-up hydraulic power generation
2. Pumped-storage hydroelectricityPumped-storage hydroelectricity (PSH) is a type of hydroe... Read more
1. high-class Edo-period pleasure house (where outside prostitutes were hired to entertained guests)
1. soaring skylark; high-flying skylark
揚げ雲雀 【あげひばり】、揚げひばり 【あげひばり】、上げ雲雀 【あげひばり】、揚げヒバリ 【あげヒバリ】
上げ雲雀: Irregular kanji usage.
1. lightly deep-fried (food, esp. tofu)Food term, See also 揚げ出し豆腐
1. finally; in the end; on top of all thatusu. as ～に
挙げ句の果て 【あげくのはて】、挙句の果て 【あげくのはて】、揚げ句の果て 【あげくのはて】、揚句の果て 【あげくのはて】
1. old-fashioned boys' hairstyle
2. Meiji period women's hairstyle
3. type of dance in kabukiOnly applies to 揚げ巻, Only applies to 揚巻
4. knots in colour of four cardinal points hanging from the roof above the ring (color)Sumo term, Only applies to 揚げ巻, Only applies to 揚巻
5. constricted tagelus (Sinonovacula constricta); Chinese razor clamAbbreviation, See also 揚巻貝
揚巻 【あげまき】、総角 【あげまき】