Words — 20 found
1. to go by; to go past; to go along; to travel along; to pass through; to use (a road); to take (a route); to go via; to go by way of
- とお 。
- I go by that church every day.
2. to run (between; of a rail service, bus route, etc.); to operate (between); to connect
- とお 。
- Buses run between the station and the airport.
3. to go indoors; to go into a room; to be admitted; to be shown in; to be ushered in; to come in
4. to penetrate; to pierce; to skewer; to go through; to come through
- とお 。
- A bullet pierced the helmet.
5. to permeate; to soak into; to spread throughout
6. to carry (e.g. of a voice); to reach far
- とお 。
- Kelly's voice carries well.
7. to be passed on (e.g. of a customer's order to the kitchen); to be relayed; to be conveyed
8. to pass (a test, a bill in the House, etc.); to be approved; to be accepted
- おも 。
- I expect her to pass the examination easily.
9. to go by (a name); to be known as; to be accepted as; to have a reputation for
- とお 。
- She went by the name of Bess.
10. to be coherent; to be logical; to be reasonable; to be comprehensible; to be understandable; to make sense
- That's no excuse.
11. to get across (e.g. of one's point); to be understood
- とお 。
- There was no need for verbal communication.
12. to pass for; to come across as; to seem like
- This painting will pass for genuine.
13. to be straight (e.g. wood grain)
14. to be well-informed; to be wiseArchaism
15. to do ... completely; to do ... thoroughlyafter the -masu stem of a verb
徹る 【とおる】、透る 【とおる】
1. to stick through; to force through
2. to spread throughout; to thoroughly diffuse
3. to make a path between two points
4. to proceed in a logical mannerSee also 筋を通す すじをとおす
5. to let pass; to allow through
- The Upper House seems bent on defeating any reform bills.
6. to lead (someone) into (a house, room, etc.); to show in
7. to go through (a middleman)
8. to (look, listen) through (a window, wall, etc.)
9. to pass (a law, applicant, etc.)
10. to force to accept; to force agreement
11. to continue (in a state); to persist in
12. to do to the entirety of; to cover all of; to span the whole ...
13. to do from beginning to end without a breakin the form とおして…する
14. to convey (one's ideas, etc.) to the other party
15. to do to the end; to carry through; to completeafter the -te form of a verb
徹す 【とおす】、透す 【とおす】
1. thoroughness; completeness; consistency
2. thorough enforcement; seeing to it that a policy, etc. is carried out without exception
1. to penetrate; to sink in
2. to devote oneself (to); to do intently and exclusively
- つく 、
- うらぎ 。
- I had imagined that the newbies fresh from university would probably be stuck with all the backstage work - collecting reference material, getting copies and such but I couldn't have been proved more wrong.
3. to do throughout (e.g. the night)
- かいな 。
- Should I stay up all night or not?
1. to respond; to answer; to meet (e.g. demands, expectations)Only applies to 応える, Only applies to 報える
- You ought to live up to your parents' hopes.
2. to affect; to take a toll; to strike home; to have an effect on; to be hard on someone (e.g. heat, cold, work, illness, etc.); to be a strainSee also 堪える, sometimes 堪える
- It is beginning to tell on him.
報える 【こたえる】、徹える 【こたえる】
1. thoroughly; through and throughYojijukugo (four character compound)
撤頭徹尾: Irregular kanji usage.
1. armor piercing ammunition; armour piercing ammunition
2. Armor-piercing shot and shell1 Light weight ballistic cap 2 Steel alloy piercing shell... Read more
1. thorough investigation; complete inquiryYojijukugo (four character compound)
1. seeing clearly; seeing without obstruction; looking into every nook and corner