Words — 162 found
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to givePolite (teineigo), Only applies to 上げる
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)Only applies to 上げる
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo), after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo), See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. to rise; to go up; to come up; to ascend; to be raisedAntonym: 下がる
- It has been announced that railway fares will be raised by 10 percent starting on the first of March.
2. to enter (esp. from outdoors); to come in; to go in
- My father has just come out of the bath.
3. to enter (a school); to advance to the next grade
4. to get out (of water); to come ashore
- I always get nervous just before a match.
5. to increasealso written as 騰る in ref. to price
- Taxi fares will go up next month.
6. to improve; to make progress
7. to be promoted; to advance
8. to be made (of profit, etc.)
9. to occur (esp. of a favourable result)
10. to be adequate (to cover expenses, etc.)often as 〜で上がる
11. to be finished; to be done; to be over
- "Kaname, when can you leave?" "It's till closing so it takes till eight."
12. (of rain) to stop; to lift
- "Will it stop raining soon?" "I'm afraid not."
13. to stop (working properly); to cut out; to give out; to die
- よくじつ 、
- あが 。
- The next day the battery was flat again.
14. to win (in a card game, etc.)
15. to be arrestedOnly applies to 挙がる
16. to turn up (of evidence, etc.)Only applies to 挙がる
17. to be deep friedOnly applies to 揚がる
- こ 。
- Keiichi, the tempura's done, so bring a plate.
18. to be spoken loudly
- いっぽう 、小泉
- あ 。
- While welcoming the firming up of the present government policy to abandon the proposal of the reform bill to the Diet, at the same time some are worried that Prime Minister Koizumi won't clearly state the bill's withdrawal.
19. to get stage fright
- I never make a speech without being nervous.
20. to be offered (to the gods, etc.)
21. to go; to visitHumble (kenjougo)
- あ 。
- I will call for it tomorrow.
22. to eat; to drinkHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
23. to be listed (as a candidate)esp. 挙がる
24. to serve (in one's master's home)
25. to go northin Kyoto
26. to be complete; to finishSee also 出来上がる, after the -masu stem of a verb
揚がる 【あがる】、挙がる 【あがる】、上る 【あがる】
上る: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to pull up; to drag up; to lift up
- Give me a hoist.
2. to increase; to raise (e.g. taxes)
- ちかぢか 、
- Will the government raise the consumption tax soon?
3. to withdraw; to leave; to pull out; to retire
- ひきあ 。
- He retired to his own room after supper.
4. to promote (someone to a higher position)
5. to return home
6. to expedite the scheduleArchaism
引上げる 【ひきあげる】、引き揚げる 【ひきあげる】、引きあげる 【ひきあげる】、引揚げる 【ひきあげる】、ひき上げる 【ひきあげる】
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. rise; increase; ascentAntonym: 下がり
- The road climbed gradually.
2. income; proceeds; return; profit; crop yield
3. freshly-drawn green tea (esp. in sushi shops)Abbreviation, See also 上がり花
4. completion; stop; finish
5. end result (e.g. of crafts like painting, pottery, etc.); how something comes out
- The color has come out well.
6. after (rain, illness, etc.)
7. ex- (e.g. ex-bureaucrat); former
Common word Links
1. in the end (after a long process); finally; after all; at lastUsually written using kana alone, esp. 〜したあげく
2. last line (of a renga)See also 発句
挙げ句 【あげく】、揚げ句 【あげく】、揚句 【あげく】
Common word Links
1. pulling up; drawing up; salvage; re-flotation
2. raising; increase; upward revision
- Proponents of increased import duties are at odds with each other.
3. repatriation; evacuation
引き揚げ 【ひきあげ】、引上げ 【ひきあげ】、引揚げ 【ひきあげ】、引揚 【ひきあげ】
1. to launch; to shoot up
2. (of waves) to dash; to wash up (ashore)
3. to finish (e.g. a theater run, sumo tournament); to close
4. to report (to boss, etc.)
打上げる 【うちあげる】、打ち揚げる 【うちあげる】、打揚げる 【うちあげる】
1. to roll up; to hoist; to heave up
2. to take away; to rip off (e.g. money from someone)
- ときどき 、
- Tom sometimes rips off his customers.
3. to blow up (dust)
巻き揚げる 【まきあげる】、捲き上げる 【まきあげる】、巻上げる 【まきあげる】
1. deep-fried food (esp. chicken)Food term
から揚げ 【からあげ】、唐揚 【からあげ】、空揚げ 【からあげ】、空揚 【からあげ】、カラ揚げ 【カラあげ】、カラアゲ
1. mixed vegetable and seafood tempuraOnly applies to かき揚げ, Only applies to 掻き揚げ, Only applies to 掻揚げ, Only applies to 掻揚
2. something pulled upwards
3. small castle with a simple earthen-walled moatAbbreviation, Only applies to かき揚げ, Only applies to 掻き揚げ, Only applies to 搔き揚げ, See also かき揚げ城 かきあげじろ
4. turning up a lamp wick
掻き揚げ 【かきあげ】、掻揚げ 【かきあげ】、掻き上げ 【かきあげ】、掻揚 【かきあげ】、掻上 【かきあげ】、掻上げ 【かきあげ】、搔き揚げ 【かきあげ】
掻揚: Irregular okurigana usage. 掻上: Irregular okurigana usage. 搔き揚げ: Out-dated kanji.
1. triumphant; exultant; in high and proud spiritsYojijukugo (four character compound), See also 揚々
1. raised leg; lifting a leg
2. upturn (in the market)Only applies to 上げ足, Only applies to 上足, Antonym: 下げ足
3. sitting cross-leggedArchaism
挙げ足 【あげあし】、上げ足 【あげあし】、揚足 【あげあし】、挙足 【あげあし】、上足 【あげあし】
1. false bottom; fake bottom; raised bottom; platform (shoes); kick (of a bottle)
2. exaggeration; overstatement
上げ底 【あげそこ】、揚げ底 【あげぞこ】、揚げ底 【あげそこ】、上底 【あげぞこ】、上底 【あげそこ】、揚底 【あげぞこ】、揚底 【あげそこ】
1. aburaage; thin deep-fried slices of tofuFood term
2. frying in oil; deep-fried food
3. Aburaageis a Japanese food product made from soybeans. It is prod... Read more
油揚げ 【あぶらげ】、油揚 【あぶらあげ】、油揚 【あぶらげ】