Words — 82 found
1. to exert (influence); to exercise; to cause (e.g. damage); to do (e.g. harm); to bring about (e.g. benefits); to extend; to have an effect (on)
1. diffusion; spread; popularization; promulgation; familiarization
1. to reach; to amount to; to befall; to happen to; to extend; to go on (for, until)
- The earthquake caused widespread damage.
2. to be up to the task; to come up to
- The problem was beyond my reach.
3. to compare with; to be a match (for)
- およ 。
- He is not equal to his father.
4. to commit (a crime)See also 犯罪に及ぶ
- しん 。
- He was believed to have committed the crime.
5. to require (to do)See also には及ばない, usu. used in the negative
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. investigation (e.g. into someone's guilt); questioning; pressing; hounding; pinning down
- I was pressed by their questioning and slipped into telling an obvious lie.
2. catching up; overtaking
1. and; as well as
及: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. EgyptUsually written using kana alone
埃及: Ateji (phonetic) reading. エジブト: Irregular kana usage. 埃及: Ateji (phonetic) reading.
- およ 。
- Nature is beyond mortal control.
1. to be no match for; to not hold a candle to
- あしもとにもおよ 。
- When it comes to disco dance, I can't hold a candle to Susan.
足元にもおよばない 【あしもとにもおよばない】、足元にも及ば無い 【あしもとにもおよばない】
1. far beyond one's power; not at all equal; no match forSee also 及びもつかぬ
1. to commit a crime; to resort to crime
- They still haven't been able to work out quite what her motive was for resorting to crime.
1. there is no need to; it is fine if you don't; unnecessaryafter a verb
2. does not match; out of reach ofafter a noun