Words — 76 found
1. to grow long (e.g. hair, nails)esp. 伸ばす
- The boy persisted in wearing his hair long.
2. to lengthen; to extend; to stretch
- の 。
- The impudent child extended her legs across my lap.
3. to reach out; to hold outesp. 伸ばす
- He reached out and took down a small leather bound book.
4. to straighten; to smooth out
5. to spread evenly (dough, cream, etc.)
6. to dilute; to thin out
7. to postponeesp. 延ばす
- Don't put off the work till tomorrow.
8. to prolong
- I'd like to stay one more night. Is that possible?
9. to strengthen; to develop; to expand
- The purpose of the committee is to develop children's musical talent.
1. to stretch; to extend; to lengthen; to grow (of hair, height, grass, etc.)
- This sweater is all stretched out of shape.
2. to straighten out; to be flattened; to become smooth
3. to spread (of paint, cream, etc.)
4. to stretch out (e.g. of a hand); to extend
5. to lose elasticity; to become slack; to become soggy (e.g. noodles)
6. to make progress; to develop; to expand; to increase; to improveOnly applies to 伸びる
7. to be exhausted; to be groggy; to pass out; to collapseOnly applies to 伸びる
8. to be prolonged (meeting, life span, etc.); to be extended (e.g. deadline); to lengthen (e.g. of the days)Only applies to 延びる
9. to be postponed; to be delayed; to be put offOnly applies to 延びる
- The meeting has been put off until next week.
1. yawn; yawningUsually written using kana alone
2. kanji "yawning" radical (radical 76)Only applies to 欠
欠 【あくび】、欠伸 【けんしん】
1. postscript; post scriptum; PS; P.S.
2. PostscriptA postscript, abbreviated PS or P.S. , is writing added a... Read more
1. growth; development
- It's high time you had your hair cut; it has grown too long.
2. stretching (one's body, e.g. when waking up)
- お 、
- Ha-ha, you always stretch when class is over don't you?
3. (ability to) spread (of paint, cream, etc.)
4. elongation; extension; carry (e.g. of sound); sustain
1. growth rate; coefficient of extension
延び率: Irregular kanji usage.
1. comfortably; peacefully; with one's mind at ease; calmly; without worriesUsually written using kana alone
2. (growing) quicklyUsually written using kana alone
1. to stretch larger
2. to enlarge (photos)
3. to delay (e.g. the end of a meeting)
引き延す 【ひきのばす】、引延ばす 【ひきのばす】、引延す 【ひきのばす】、引き伸ばす 【ひきのばす】、引き伸す 【ひきのばす】、引伸ばす 【ひきのばす】、引伸す 【ひきのばす】、引きのばす 【ひきのばす】
引延ばす: Irregular okurigana usage. 引延す: Irregular okurigana usage. 引伸ばす: Irregular okurigana usage. 引伸す: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to hold out; to extend (e.g. one's hands); to stretch; to reach out for
2. to thrust (javelin)
3. to offer (e.g. aid, help, etc.)See also 手を差し伸べる
- I'll offer him what help I can.
差し延べる 【さしのべる】、差伸べる 【さしのべる】、差延べる 【さしのべる】
1. standing on tiptoe and stretching one's back to make oneself taller; stretching oneself
2. overreaching oneself; overstretching oneself; trying to do something beyond one's ability; pushing to the limit
背のび 【せのび】、背延び 【せのび】
1. win or lose; sink or swim; make or break; all or nothingUsually written using kana alone
乗るか反るか: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to be sluggish (business); to make little progress; to not grow as much as expected