Words — 181 found
1. ball; sphere; globe; orb
- う 。
- There were beads of sweat on his forehead.
2. bead (of sweat, dew, etc.); drop; droplet
- A nickel is a five-cent coin.
3. ball (in sports)esp. 球
- Adversity makes a man wise, not rich.
4. pile (of noodles, etc.)
5. bulletesp. 弾; also written as 弾丸
- The bullet just shaved his cheek.
6. bulb (i.e. a light bulb)esp. 球
7. lens (of glasses, etc.)
8. bead (of an abacus)esp. 玉,珠
9. ball (i.e. a testicle)Slang, Abbreviation, See also 金玉 きんたま, esp. 玉
10. gem; jewel (esp. spherical; sometimes used figuratively); pearlesp. 玉,珠; also written as 璧
11. female entertainer (e.g. a geisha)
12. person (when commenting on their nature); characterDerogatory
13. item, funds or person used as part of a plot
- That's because, you see, I've known he isn't that sort of person from a long time back.
14. eggSee also 玉子
15. coinusu. だま
16. precious; beautiful; excellent
球 【たま】、珠 【たま】、弾 【たま】
JLPT N1 Links
1. precious stone (esp. jade)also formerly read as ごく
- The boss said this group is a real mixed bag. I wonder if he places me with the wheat or the chaff.
2. egg (sometimes esp. as a sushi topping)Food term
3. stock or security being traded; product being bought or sold
- The checked player must find a way for the king to escape and block the check.
4. position (in finance, the amount of a security either owned or owed by an investor or dealer)See also 建玉
6. time charge for a geishaAbbreviation, See also 玉代
7. king (of the junior player)Shogi term, Abbreviation, See also 玉将
1. eggs; egg; spawn; roeOnly applies to 卵
- Pack eggs in dozens.
2. hen egg
- Boil the eggs hard.
3. (an expert) in the makingOnly applies to 卵
- He is a future doctor.
4. beginning; origin; infancyOnly applies to 卵
5. Egg (biology)In zoology, an egg is an organic vessel in which an embry... Read more
Common word Links
1. corn (Zea mays); maizeUsually written using kana alone
2. MaizeMaize known in many English-speaking countries as corn or... Read more
Common word Links
2. equivocal; ambivalent
- The prime minister's answer was equivocal.
3. variable meaning; weasel-word; chameleonic interpretation
1. onion (Allium cepa)Usually written using kana alone
玉葱 【たまねぎ】、葱頭 【たまねぎ】、タマネギ
1. Urashima's casket (in the story of Urashima Tarō); Pandora's box
- Lady Otohime gave Urashima Taro a beautiful Tamate-box.
2. one's closely guarded treasure
3. TamatebakoThe Tamatebako is an Origami model featured in a Japanese... Read more
1. fly in the ointmentIdiomatic expression
玉にきず 【たまにきず】、珠に瑕 【たまにきず】、玉に疵 【たまにきず】、珠に疵 【たまにきず】、珠にきず 【たまにきず】、玉にキズ 【たまにキズ】
1. mixture of wheat and chaff; mixture of the good and bad; jumble of wheat and taresYojijukugo (four character compound)
1. calculation with abacus
2. Abacus systemAbacus is a Latin word that has its origins in the Greek ... Read more
珠算 【たまざん】、玉算 【たまざん】
1. rolled egg; rolled omelette (omelet)Food term
2. frying pan for making rolled eggs
3. TamagoyakiTamagoyaki 卵焼き (literally 'grilled egg', also called tama... Read more
玉子焼き 【たまごやき】、たまご焼き 【たまごやき】、卵焼 【たまごやき】、玉子焼 【たまごやき】
1. honourable defeat; honorable defeat; honourable death; honorable death; death without surrender
2. trying but being utterly beaten; being completely rejected when professing one's loveColloquialism, Only applies to 玉砕
1. billiards; pool
2. serial collisions (of cars)
球撞き 【たまつき】、玉つき 【たまつき】、玉突 【たまつき】
玉突: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. branch of a sacred tree (esp. sakaki) with paper or cotton strips attached (used as an offering)Shinto term
2. sakaki (species of evergreen sacred to Shinto, Cleyera japonica)See also 榊
3. Tamagushiis a form of Shinto offering made from a sakaki-tree bran... Read more
玉籤 【たまぐし】、玉ぐし 【たまぐし】、玉串 【たまくし】、玉籤 【たまくし】
たまくし: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. たまくし: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. Yupian (ancient Chinese dictionary)Obscure term
2. YupianThe Yupian is a circa 543 CE Chinese dictionary edited by... Read more
2. ThroneThis article is about royal and ecclesiastical thrones; f... Read more
1. eggnog (made with sake)
2. Tamagozakeis a drink consisting of heated sake, sugar and a raw egg... Read more
たまご酒 【たまござけ】、玉子酒 【たまござけ】
1. fence around a shrine
2. TamagakiA tamagaki is a fence surrounding a Japanese Shinto shrin... Read more