Words — 182 found
1. ball; sphere; globe; orb
- う 。
- There were beads of sweat on his forehead.
2. bead (of sweat, dew, etc.); drop; droplet
- A nickel is a five-cent coin.
3. ball (in sports)esp. 球
- Adversity makes a man wise, not rich.
4. pile (of noodles, etc.)
5. bulletesp. 弾; also written as 弾丸
- The bullet just shaved his cheek.
6. bulb (i.e. a light bulb)esp. 球
7. lens (of glasses, etc.)
8. bead (of an abacus)esp. 玉,珠
9. ball (i.e. a testicle)Slang, Abbreviation, See also 金玉 きんたま, esp. 玉
10. gem; jewel (esp. spherical; sometimes used figuratively); pearlesp. 玉,珠; also written as 璧
11. female entertainer (e.g. a geisha)
12. person (when commenting on their nature); characterDerogatory
13. item, funds or person used as part of a plot
- That's because, you see, I've known he isn't that sort of person from a long time back.
14. eggSee also 玉子
15. coinusu. だま
16. precious; beautiful; excellent
球 【たま】、珠 【たま】、弾 【たま】
JLPT N1 Links
1. precious stone (esp. jade)also formerly read as ごく
- The boss said this group is a real mixed bag. I wonder if he places me with the wheat or the chaff.
2. egg (sometimes esp. as a sushi topping)Food term
3. stock or security being traded; product being bought or sold
- The checked player must find a way for the king to escape and block the check.
4. position (in finance, the amount of a security either owned or owed by an investor or dealer)See also 建玉
6. time charge for a geishaAbbreviation, See also 玉代
7. king (of the junior player)Shogi term, Abbreviation, See also 玉将
1. eggs; egg; spawn; roeOnly applies to 卵
- Pack eggs in dozens.
2. (hen's) egg玉子 oft. used in cooking
- Boil the eggs hard.
3. (an expert) in the makingOnly applies to 卵
- He is a future doctor.
4. beginning; origin; infancyOnly applies to 卵
5. Egg (biology)In zoology, an egg is an organic vessel in which an embry... Read more
Common word Links
1. corn (Zea mays); maizeUsually written using kana alone
2. MaizeMaize known in many English-speaking countries as corn or... Read more
Common word Links
1. iridescent colour
2. equivocal (reply, statement, etc.); ambiguous; vague
- The prime minister's answer was equivocal.
1. onion (Allium cepa)Usually written using kana alone
玉葱 【たまねぎ】、葱頭 【たまねぎ】、タマネギ
1. Urashima's casket (in the story of Urashima Tarō); Pandora's box
- Lady Otohime gave Urashima Taro a beautiful Tamate-box.
2. one's closely guarded treasure
3. TamatebakoThe Tamatebako is an Origami model featured in a Japanese... Read more
1. fly in the ointment; small flaw in otherwise perfect object; only trouble; only faultIdiomatic expression
玉にきず 【たまにきず】、珠に瑕 【たまにきず】、玉に疵 【たまにきず】、珠に疵 【たまにきず】、珠にきず 【たまにきず】、玉にキズ 【たまにキズ】
1. mixture of wheat and chaff; mixture of the good and bad; jumble of wheat and taresYojijukugo (four character compound)
1. calculation on an abacus
2. Abacus systemAbacus is a Latin word that has its origins in the Greek ... Read more
珠算 【たまざん】、玉算 【たまざん】
1. rolled egg; rolled omelette (omelet)Food term
2. fried eggFood term
3. frying pan for making rolled eggs
4. TamagoyakiTamagoyaki 卵焼き (literally 'grilled egg', also called tama... Read more
玉子焼き 【たまごやき】、たまご焼き 【たまごやき】、卵焼 【たまごやき】、玉子焼 【たまごやき】
1. honourable defeat; honorable defeat; honourable death; honorable death; death without surrender
2. trying but being utterly beaten; being completely rejected when professing one's loveColloquialism, Only applies to 玉砕
1. billiards; pool
2. serial collisions (of cars)
球撞き 【たまつき】、玉つき 【たまつき】、玉突 【たまつき】
玉突: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. branch of a sacred tree (esp. sakaki) with paper or cotton strips attached (used as an offering)Shinto term
2. sakaki (species of evergreen sacred to Shinto, Cleyera japonica)See also 榊
3. Tamagushiis a form of Shinto offering made from a sakaki-tree bran... Read more
玉籤 【たまぐし】、玉ぐし 【たまぐし】、玉串 【たまくし】、玉籤 【たまくし】
たまくし: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. たまくし: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. Yupian (ancient Chinese dictionary)Obscure term
2. YupianThe Yupian is a circa 543 CE Chinese dictionary edited by... Read more
2. ThroneThis article is about royal and ecclesiastical thrones; f... Read more
1. eggnog (made with sake)
2. Tamagozakeis a drink consisting of heated sake, sugar and a raw egg... Read more
たまご酒 【たまござけ】、玉子酒 【たまござけ】
1. fence around a shrine
2. TamagakiA tamagaki is a fence surrounding a Japanese Shinto shrin... Read more