Words — 47 found
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. then; well; so; well thenSee also では
- こた 。
- "That's cheap. I'll take ten yards," the girl answered.
2. combination of 'de' and 'wa' particlesSee also で, See also で, See also で, See also で, See also は
- いいあらわ 。
- Like is hardly the word.
3. plain copulaKansai dialect, Only applies to じゃ, See also だ
1. indicates location of action; at; inにて is the formal literary form
- Do you remember what Kathy had on at the party?
2. indicates time of action
- They will have been staying here for two months next Sunday.
3. indicates means of action; cause of effect; by
- りつ ２
- たい １
- The odds are two-to-one that the Reds win.
4. and then; so
- And so it seems she tried phoning but it's who was on the other end of that phone that was the problem.
5. indicates continuing actionOnly applies to で, See also て, alternate form of 〜て used for some verb types
6. indicates certainty, emphasis, etc.Kansai dialect, Only applies to で, See also よ, at sentence-end
1. should; must; that one ought to; to be doneUsually written using kana alone, suf. to verbs
- Should I have asked you first?
2. -ableUsually written using kana alone, passive ending
3. probably; likelyUsually written using kana alone
1. if; in case; if it is the case that; if it is true thathypothetical form of the copula だ, from なり and sometimes classed as a particle
2. as for; on the topic ofOnly applies to なら
- めずらし 。
- A six-figure income is not uncommon for physicians.
3. if that's the case; if so; that being the caseColloquialism, Abbreviation, See also それなら
4. if possible; if circumstances allowOnly applies to ならば
1. it is assuredly that ...; can say with confidence that ...See also のだ
2. did not ...Kansai dialect, Only applies to なんだ, after the -nai stem of a verb
1. such things as (non-exhaustive list related to a specific time and place); and ... and
- You'll soon come to enjoy the food and drink here.
2. the minute (that) ...; no sooner than ...; as soon asSee also や否や, after the dictionary form of a verb
3. punctuational exclamation in haiku, renga, etc.
4. interjection expressing surprise
- I guess I'm never going to get married.
5. hiMale term or language
6. plain copulaKansai dialect, See also だ
7. yes; what?Archaism
8. indicates a questionArchaism
9. Ya (kana)や, in hiragana, or ヤ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
1. rather than (do ...)usu. after verb
- You might as well throw your money into the sea as lend it to her.
1. it is assuredly (that)...; can say with confidence that it is...See also なのだ
- No matter the age, a child is a child.
1. verb suffix indicating hatred and contempt, or disdain for another's actionDerogatory, after the -te form or -masu stem of a verb
- He is buttering up to his boss.
1. (usu. used after -masu stem of verb) emphatic negative (verb)Colloquialism, や is from は and しない is negative of する
- The soup I had was so hot I couldn't drink it.
1. word used at sentence-end (like a particle) to indicate speculation, volition or invitationKantou dialect, Touhoku dialect, See also 可い
- I feel a lot better now, but I know Dad's going to be real upset.
2. familiar suffix used after a personal nameOnly applies to ぺ
1. will; probably; may; I think; surely; I hope; I fear; it seems
- Apart from his parents, nobody would defend the suspect.
1. dagger; dirk; knife
- Get messed up with them and never mind shivs they're probably packing heat.
2. threatening quality (in a voice, etc.)
3. muddy; turbid; murky; unclear
4. be; isPolite (teineigo), Abbreviation, Kyoto dialect, Only applies to どす, See also おす, polite copula abbreviated from でおす
1. it is assuredly that ...; can say with confidence that ...Kansai dialect
- I'm not very good at swimming.
1. to beAbbreviation, Archaism, See also である
- The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part.
1. probably isn't (doesn't, won't, etc.)
- You will gain nothing from doing that.
2. don't (doesn't) intend to; intend not to
- The other team tried to keep them from crossing the line.
3. must not; (when used in an imperative sentence) don't