Words — 166 found
1. sword (esp. Japanese single-edged); katana
- れんしゅう ？」「
- "Practising sword throwing?" "It just slipped out of my hands."
2. scalpelOnly applies to とう
3. chisel; burin; graverOnly applies to とう, See also 彫刻刀 ちょうこくとう
4. knife money (knife-shaped commodity money used in ancient China)Only applies to とう, See also 刀銭
5. BackswordA backsword is a type of European sword characterized as ... Read more
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. scissors; shears; clippersUsually written using kana alone, See also 螯
2. hole punchUsually written using kana alone
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. razorUsually written using kana alone
2. RazorA razor is a bladed tool primarily used in the removal of... Read more
剃刀 【かみすり】、剃刀 【そり】、カミソリ
かみすり: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. そり: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. straight to the point; point-blank; frank; directYojijukugo (four character compound)
短刀直入: Irregular kanji usage.
1. cutting in two with a single strokeYojijukugo (four character compound)
2. taking decisive action; dealing with decisively; cutting the (Gordian) knotYojijukugo (four character compound)
- Why don't you try expressing your opinion a little more gently? Think about how he feels getting told flatly that he's being cut loose.
1. wooden sword
3. BokkenA bokken (木剣, bok, "wood", and ken, "sword") (or commonly... Read more
木刀 【ぼくっとう】、木刀 【ぼくた】、木刀 【きがたな】
ぼくっとう: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. ぼくた: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. きがたな: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. long sword (esp. the tachi, worn on the hip edge down by samurai); large sword
2. straight single-edged Japanese sword (from the mid-Heian period or earlier)Historical term, Only applies to 大刀, Only applies to たち
3. guandao; Chinese glaiveOnly applies to 大刀, Only applies to だいとう
4. TachiThe tachi is one type of traditionally made Japanese swor... Read more
大刀 【たち】、横刀 【たち】、大刀 【だいとう】、横刀 【だいとう】
横刀: Out-dated kanji or kanji usage. 横刀: Out-dated kanji or kanji usage.
1. short sword; knife; dagger; dirk; tantō
2. TantōA tantō is one of the traditionally made Japanese swords ... Read more
1. bamboo sword (for kendo); bamboo fencing stickMartial arts
2. Shinaiis a weapon used for practice and competition in kendo re... Read more
1. crossing swords
2. competing against; contending with; fighting against
1. to be a good match for; to stand a chance against; to be able to compete with; to hold one's ownoften in neg.
- I gave it a try figuring that anything is worth a try. But putting together a program like this is something I'm no match for.