Words — 3 found
1. to stop; to turn offesp. 止める, 停める
- もと 。
- The newspaper called for the government to stop inflation.
2. to parkesp. 止める, 停める
- This document is for your eyes only.
3. to prevent; to suppress (a cough); to hold back (tears); to hold (one's breath); to relieve (pain)esp. 止める, 停める
- くだ 。
- Please bear in mind what I said.
4. to stop (someone from doing something); to dissuade; to forbid; to prohibit
5. to notice; to be aware of; to concentrate on; to pay attention to; to remember; to bear in mindSee also 目を留める, See also 気に留める
- It's illegal to park your car here.
6. to fix (in place); to fasten; to tack; to pin; to nail; to button; to stapleesp. 留める
- とめ 。
- The wooden pieces are fastened with a peg.
7. to detain; to keep in custodyesp. 留める
留める 【とめる】、停める 【とめる】
1. to stop (an activity); to cease; to discontinue; to end; to quitUsually written using kana alone, Only applies to 止める, Only applies to 已める
2. to cancel; to abandon; to give up; to abolish; to abstain; to refrainUsually written using kana alone
已める 【やめる】、廃める 【やめる】
1. to stop; to stay (e.g. the night); to cease; to put an end to
2. to contain; to keep (in position, in place); to limit
- つづ 、
- We should keep every school open and every teacher in his job.
3. to record (e.g. a fact); to retainSee also 記憶にとどめる
- His courage went down in history.
止める 【とどめる】、停める 【とどめる】