1. to throw away; to cast away; to dump; to discard
2. to abandon; to desert; to leave
3. to give up; to resign
棄てる: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. to abandon; to throw away; to discard; to forsake
棄て去る: Rarely-used kanji form.
Common word Links
1. abandoned child; foundling
2. Child abandonmentChild abandonment is the practice of relinquishing intere... Read more
棄て子 【すてご】、棄て児 【すてご】、棄児 【すてご】、捨子 【すてご】、棄子 【すてご】、棄児 【きじ】
棄子: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. putting one's life on the line; giving everything one has got; acting out of desperation
1. ornamental garden stone (placed to give a natural appearance); garden rock
2. sacrificed stoneGo (game), See also 捨て駒
3. sacrifice (of oneself, one's career, etc.)usu. as 〜に/となる
4. stones used in a foundation; riprap
捨石 【すていし】、棄て石 【すていし】、棄石 【すていし】
棄石: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. (taking a) left turn to get out of a lane or road with heavy traffic as a shortcut
1. small okurigana used with kanbun
2. small kana used for diphthongs (ya, yo, yu, i, etc.)
1. small stipend paid to dependants of a bereaved family (Edo period)Historical term
1. abandoned cat; stray cat
捨猫 【すてねこ】、捨てネコ 【すてネコ】
捨猫: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. marginal seal (special seal affixed into the margins of an official document to indicate that any later revisions to the document are valid)
2. using up residual ink on a seal
1. discard; discarded (playing) card
2. bulletin board displaying the name, age, offence, etc. of a criminal sentenced to death (Edo period)Archaic