Words — 38 found
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to givePolite (teineigo) language, Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 上げる
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)Only applies to 上げる
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo) language, after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo) language, See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. to rise; to go up; to come up; to ascend; to be raisedAntonym: 下がる
- It has been announced that railway fares will be raised by 10 percent starting on the first of March.
2. to enter (esp. from outdoors); to come in; to go in
3. to enter (a school); to advance to the next grade
4. to get out (of water); to come ashore
- After a light swim, I came up from the water and sat down on the poolside.
5. to increasealso written as 騰る in ref. to price
- Taxi fares will go up next month.
6. to improve; to make progress
7. to be promoted; to advance
8. to be made (of profit, etc.)
- The income from this source is tax-free.
9. to occur (esp. of a favourable result)
10. to be adequate (to cover expenses, etc.)often as 〜で上がる
11. to be finished; to be done; to be over
- "Kaname, when can you leave?" "It's till closing so it takes till eight."
12. (of rain) to stop; to lift
- "Will it stop raining soon?" "I'm afraid not."
13. to stop (working properly); to cut out; to give out; to die
- よくじつ 、
- あが 。
- The next day the battery was flat again.
14. to win (in a card game, etc.)
15. to be arrestedOnly applies to 挙がる
16. to turn up (of evidence, etc.)Only applies to 挙がる
17. to be deep friedOnly applies to 揚がる
- こ 。
- Keiichi, the tempura's done, so bring a plate.
18. to be spoken loudly
- いっぽう 、小泉
- あ 。
- While welcoming the firming up of the present government policy to abandon the proposal of the reform bill to the Diet, at the same time some are worried that Prime Minister Koizumi won't clearly state the bill's withdrawal.
19. to get nervous; to get stage fright
- I never make a speech without being nervous.
20. to be offered (to the gods, etc.)
21. to go; to visitHumble (kenjougo) language
- あ 。
- I will call for it tomorrow.
22. to eat; to drinkHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo) language
23. to be listed (as a candidate)esp. 挙がる
24. to serve (in one's master's home)
25. to go northin Kyoto
26. to be complete; to finishSee also 出来上がる, after the -masu stem of a verb
揚がる 【あがる】、挙がる 【あがる】、上る 【あがる】
上る: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. after (a long process); at the end ofesp. 〜したあげく or 〜のあげく
2. last line (of a renga)See also 発句
挙げ句 【あげく】、揚げ句 【あげく】、揚句 【あげく】
1. celebration (of ceremony); solemnization (e.g. of a marriage); solemnisation
1. raising one's hand; show of hands (e.g. for a vote)
2. saluteSee also 挙手の礼
1. raised leg; lifting a leg
2. upturn (in the market)Only applies to 上げ足, Only applies to 上足, Antonym: 下げ足
3. sitting cross-leggedArchaism
挙げ足 【あげあし】、上げ足 【あげあし】、揚足 【あげあし】、挙足 【あげあし】、上足 【あげあし】
1. finally; in the end; on top of all thatusu. as ～に
挙げ句の果て 【あげくのはて】、あげくの果て 【あげくのはて】、揚げ句の果て 【あげくのはて】、揚句の果て 【あげくのはて】
揚げ句の果て: Rarely-used kanji form. 揚句の果て: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. scorpionfly (esp. the Japanese scorpionfly, Panorpa japonica); scorpion flyUsually written using kana alone
2. PanorpidaePanorpidae are a family of scorpionflies. This family con... Read more
1. suspicious behavior; acting suspiciouslyYojijukugo (four character compound)
1. national unity; unity of the whole nationYojijukugo (four character compound)
1. to be arrested; to be caught; to be captured (e.g. data)Computing
1. faultfinding; carping; quibbling; cavilling; caviling
あげ足取り 【あげあしとり】、あげ足とり 【あげあしとり】、挙げ足取り 【あげあしとり】、揚足取り 【あげあしとり】