Words — 263 found
1. oni; ogre; demon
- わら 。
- Next year is the devil's joke.
2. spirit of a deceased personSee also 亡魂
3. ogre-like person (i.e. fierce, relentless, merciless, etc.)Only applies to おに
4. it (in a game of tag, hide-and-seek, etc.)Only applies to おに, See also 鬼ごっこ おにごっこ
6. very; extremely; super-Slang, Only applies to おに, See also 超
7. Oni (folklore)are creatures from Japanese folklore, variously translate... Read more
1. basement; cellar; underground place
- も 。
- The house has pipes under the ground to carry dirty water away.
2. underground; below ground
3. secret; under cover
- うたが 。
- He was suspected of underground action.
4. underground (railway); subway; metroColloquialism, Abbreviation
5. Subterranea (geography)Subterranea refers to underground structures, both natura... Read more
- What did the announcement just say?
2. how manyOnly applies to なん, See also 何か月, followed by a counter
- くら 、
- "No, not so much. At most comparing sizes, telling dirty stories." "Sizes of what?" "Of 'that'."
3. you-know-what; that
- I know you're at an age where sexual desire flourishes and you want to do 'you-know-what' with 'that' but... well, sit down there.
4. whatsit; what's the expression; what do you call them
5. what?expressing surprise
6. hey!expressing anger or irritability
1. again; and; also; still (doing something)Usually written using kana alone
- Thanks. Maybe we'll come back.
亦 【また】、復 【また】
1. thing; object; article; stuff; substance
- Don't beat around the bush.
2. one's things; possessions; property; belongingsas 〜のもの, 〜のもん
- Robert used to help his father in the store on weekends.
3. things; something; anything; everything; nothing
- I'd like to see your sister.
- Wilson's solution is similar to Hudson's in that they used the same constants.
5. reason; the way of things
6. used to emphasize emotion, judgment, etc.; used to indicate a common occurrence in the past (after a verb in past tense); used to indicate a general tendency; used to indicate something that should happenUsually written using kana alone, formal noun often used as 〜ものだ
- こ 、
- I used to come to this beach when I was a boy.
7. item classified as ...; item related to ...; work of ...
8. cause of ...; cause for ...
9. somehow; somewhat; for some reasonOnly applies to もの, See also 物寂しい ものさびしい
10. really; trulyOnly applies to もの, See also 物珍しい ものめずらしい
1. book; volume; scriptSee also ご本 ごほん
- よ 。
- I read the book up to page 80 yesterday.
2. this; present
- The high performance and the elegant design of this model have combined to give it a high reputation.
3. main; head
4. real; regular
5. counter for long cylindrical things; counter for films, TV shows, etc.; counter for goals, home runs, etc.; counter for telephone callssometimes pronounced ぼん or ぽん
- も 。
- I have a bottle of whiskey.
1. previous; prior; former; first; earlier; some time ago; preceding
- This was he of whom I said, "He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me."
2. point (e.g. pencil); tip; end; nozzle
- か 。
- I can't write with this dull pencil.
3. head (of a line); front
4. ahead; the other side
- い 。
- You cannot go any farther.
5. the future; hereafter
- み 。
- We could see the summit of a mountain twenty miles away.
- And so it seems she tried phoning but it's who was on the other end of that phone that was the problem.
7. the other party
前 【さき】、先き 【さき】
先き: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. oneSee also ワン, １ can also be read ワン. 壱, 弌 and 壹 are used in legal documents
- Pack eggs in dozens.
- おも 。
- I thought the highest mountain in Tsuyama was Takiyama.
3. first; foremost
4. beginning; start
5. bottom string (on a shamisen, etc.)
１ 【いち】、壱 【いち】、弌 【いち】、壹 【いち】
壹: Out-dated kanji.
1. grass; weed; herb; thatch
3. not genuine; substandard
艸: Out-dated kanji.
1. next (year, etc.)
- How long will you have been working here by the end of next year?
2. since (last month, etc.)
1. honorific/polite/humble prefixHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), Polite (teineigo), Humble (kenjougo), Usually written using kana alone, See also 御 お, usu. before a term with an on-yomi reading
2. honorific suffixHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), after a noun indicating a person
1. several; a number of
- Some birds are sitting on the branch of that tree.
2. quantity; amount
- This year unemployment will reach record levels.
3. counting; figures; numbers
4. number; numeral; figure
5. grammatical numberlinguistics terminology
6. destiny; fate; course of events; trend
1. raw; uncooked; fresh
- す 。
- As is often the case with Americans, he does not care for raw fish.
2. natural; as it is; unedited; unprocessed
- み 、
- A critic once said that if you saw my ballet paintings, you didn't have to go to a live performance.
3. unprotected (i.e. not wearing a condom)Colloquialism
- The sensitivity certainly drops if I use a condom, so if possible I'd like to do it bareback.
4. live (i.e. not recorded)
5. inexperienced; unpolished; green; crude
6. impudence; saucinessAbbreviation, See also 生意気
7. unpasteurized beer; draft beer; draught beerAbbreviation, See also 生ビール
8. just a little; somehow; vaguely; partially; somewhat; half-; semi-
9. irresponsibly; half-baked
11. tipsinessAbbreviation, See also 生酔い
1. ex-; former; old
- にかん 、
- みまも 。
- Bureaucrats are testing the waters over revising old regulations.
1. medium; average; middleSee also 並
- ちゅう ・
- くだ 。
- Bear in mind that that school is an integrated junior high and high school.
4. ChinaAbbreviation, See also 中国
- だいがく １
- These figures indicate three in five college first-year students are indifferent to politics.
5. volume two (of three)Abbreviation, See also 中巻
- も 。
- Three out of ten persons have a video.
6. during (a certain time when one did or is doing something); under (construction, etc.); whileSee also 話し中
- ちゅう 、
- かたむ 。
- They were all ears while the pianist was playing.
7. in; out of (e.g. three out of ten people)See also 中 じゅう
1. post; position
- Once a thing is posted, it is in the care of the Post Office.
2. postbox; mail box; pillar box
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. front; frontage; facade; main
- The front door remained locked.