Words — 647 found
1. child; children
- How many children do you have?
2. ChildBiologically, a child is generally a human between the st... Read more
子ども 【こども】、小供 【こども】
小供: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to drink; to gulp; to swallow; to take (medicine)呑む is often used metaphorically; 服む is often used for medicine
- Must I take this medicine?
2. to smoke (tobacco)See also 喫む, also written 喫む
3. to engulf; to overwhelm
4. to keep down; to suppress
5. to accept (e.g. demand, condition)
6. to make light of; to conceal
7. DrinkingDrinking is the act of ingesting water or other drinks th... Read more
呑む 【のむ】、飮む 【のむ】、服む 【のむ】
飮む: Out-dated kanji. 服む: Irregular kanji usage.
1. futon (quilted Japanese-style mattress laid out on the floor)
- かたづ 。
- In the morning, we put away our futons.
2. round cushion used for Zen meditation (traditionally made of woven bulrush leaves)
3. FutonFuton is an English, a term generally referring to the tr... Read more
蒲団 【ふとん】、薄団 【ふとん】
布団: Ateji (phonetic) reading. 薄団: Irregular kanji usage.
1. practice; practising; training
- We had a fire drill yesterday.
2. TrainingThe term training refers to the acquisition of knowledge,... Read more
訓連: Irregular kanji usage.
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. rabbit; hare; coney; cony; lagomorph (esp. leporids)Usually written using kana alone
- I must look after the rabbits.
2. RabbitRabbits are small mammals in the family Leporidae of the ... Read more
兔 【うさぎ】、菟 【うさぎ】、兎 【う】、ウサギ
菟: Irregular kanji usage. う: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. good; excellent; fine; nice; pleasant; agreeableUsually written using kana alone, also いい (all senses)
- Hope to see you again next year.
2. sufficient (can be used to turn down an offer); ready; prepared
- い 。
- "I'm going to see your father today, about career counselling." "You don't need to bother with that."
3. profitable (e.g. deal, business offer, etc.); beneficial
- あるひ 、
- で 。
- One day I had a phone call from a friend. "There's a nice little earner, won't you come round?" so I went to his house.
- You may go on condition that you return by five.
善い 【よい】、好い 【よい】、佳い 【よい】、吉い 【よい】、宜い 【よい】
宜い: Irregular kanji usage.
1. high; tallOnly applies to 高い, Antonym: 低い
- Banks charge higher interest on loans to risky customers.
- おも 。
- I'm afraid that place is a little too expensive.
高価い: Irregular kanji usage.
1. enjoyable; fun
- たの 。
- I really enjoyed your company.
愉しい 【たのしい】、娯しい 【たのしい】
娯しい: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to eat
2. to live on (e.g. a salary); to live off; to subsist on
喰べる: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to lose somethingUsually written using kana alone
- She lost her new watch.
2. to get rid ofUsually written using kana alone, usu. 無くす
- To get the nation's economy out of the red, more foreign aid had to be pumped in.
3. to lose someone (wife, child, etc.)Only applies to 亡くす
- Everyone sympathized with the parents about their son's death.
亡くす 【なくす】、失くす 【なくす】
失くす: Irregular kanji usage.
1. several; plural; plurality; multiple
- え 、
- うみだ 。
- Asian religions inspire him to create splendid sculptures.
2. PluralIn linguistics, plurality or [a a] plural is a concept of... Read more
復数: Irregular kanji usage.
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. carpet; rug; runnerUsually written using kana alone
- I spilled my coffee on the carpet.
2. CarpetA carpet is a textile floor covering consisting of an upp... Read more
絨緞 【じゅうたん】、絨氈 【じゅうたん】
絨氈: Irregular kanji usage.
1. electric fan
- Feeling hot, I turned on the fan.
2. Mechanical fanA mechanical fan is a machine used to create flow within ... Read more
扇風器: Irregular kanji usage.
1. funny; amusing; comical; laughable; ridiculousUsually written using kana alone
2. strange; odd; funny; peculiar; weird; unusual; eccentricUsually written using kana alone
3. improper; unsuitable; unbecomingUsually written using kana alone
4. suspiciousUsually written using kana alone
奇怪しい: Irregular kanji usage.
1. anaesthesia; anesthesia
- なきわめ 。
- The injured person wailed with pain after recovering from the anaesthesia.
2. AnesthesiaAnesthesia, or anaesthesia (see spelling differences; fro... Read more
痲酔 【ますい】、麻睡 【ますい】
麻睡: Irregular kanji usage.
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. word root; word derivation; etymology
- で 。
- These words are derived from the same root.
2. EtymologyEtymology is the study of the history of words, their ori... Read more
語原: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to be heard; to be audible
- き 。
- Oh, I can hear you clearly.
2. to be said to be; to be reputed
- He has a reputation as being straight as an arrow. He'd never get involved in corruption.
聞える 【きこえる】、聴こえる 【きこえる】、聴える 【きこえる】
聴こえる: Irregular kanji usage. 聴える: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to cry; to weep; to sob; to howl
- つづ 。
- Bill kept on crying for hours.
哭く: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to lose; to be defeated
2. to succumb; to give in; to surrender; to yieldOnly applies to 負ける
3. to be inferior toOnly applies to 負ける
4. to break out in a rash due to (e.g. lacquer, shaving, etc.)Only applies to 負ける, See also 気触れる かぶれる
5. to reduce the price; to lower the price; to give a discount onOnly applies to 負ける
敗ける 【まける】、敗北る 【まける】
敗北る: Irregular kanji usage.