Words — 64 found
JLPT N3 Links
1. fate; destiny (esp. as a mysterious force that binds two people together)
- きれめ 。
- The end of money is the end of love.
2. relationship (e.g. between two people); bond; link; connection
- Our connection may be cut on paper but the bonds of old remain as they were.
3. family ties; affinity
4. opportunity; chance (to meet someone and start a relationship)Only applies to えん
5. pratyaya (indirect conditions, as opposed to direct causes)Buddhism, Only applies to えん, See also 因
6. narrow open-air verandaOnly applies to えん, also written as 椽
縁 【えにし】、縁 【え】、縁 【えに】、江に 【えに】
江に: Ateji (phonetic) reading.
1. omen; sign of luck
- きよ 。
- We sprinkle salt to ward off bad luck.
2. origin; history; causation
3. dependent arising; doctrine that everything has a cause and there is nothing that arises out of nothingBuddhism, Abbreviation, See also 因縁生起, orig. meaning
4. PratītyasamutpādaThe doctrine of dependent origination or dependent arisin... Read more
いんえん: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. engawa; external corridor on the outer side of traditional Japanese housesSee also 縁
2. bone at the base of a fin (esp. of a flatfish); meat at the base of a finOnly applies to 縁側, See also 担鰭骨
3. EngawaEngawa refers to the typically wooden strip of flooring i... Read more
椽側: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. unconnected; weakly related; alien; far beyond (one's means, ability)
- えんどお 。
- The adventures I read about are absent from my life.
2. having little prospect of marriage
1. forming a familial relationship (through adoption, marriage, etc.)
2. adoptionLaw, See also 養子縁組
1. curb (stone); kerb
2. Curb (road)</div> A curb (American English), or kerb, is the edge wh... Read more
縁石 【ふちいし】、縁石 【へりいし】
1. marriage proposal; marriage talks
1. have no relation to; have no luck with; not be fated toSee also 縁のない
1. unsung hero; person who does a thankless taskIdiomatic expression
1. temple festival; fair; fete day; day related to a particular deity and thought to bring divine blessing to those who celebrate it
2. EnnichiEnnichi (縁日; lit. "related day") is a day believed to hav... Read more
1. out of sight; in the background; unnoticed; under the verandaIdiomatic expression
1. to sever relations (with someone; esp. a relative or spouse); to break off (with)