Words — 328 found
1. to return; to come home; to go home; to go backSee also 返る
- かえ 。
- Lover, come back to me.
2. to leaveof a guest, customer, etc.
- はじ 。
- After 11 o'clock the guests began to leave by twos and threes.
3. to get home; to get to home plateBaseball term
還る 【かえる】、歸る 【かえる】
歸る: Out-dated kanji.
1. to play; to enjoy oneself; to have a good time
- あそ 。
- There were two children playing on the street.
2. to mess about (with alcohol, gambling, philandery, etc.)
- あそ 。
- The machine is lying idle.
3. to be idle; to do nothing; to be unused
4. to go to (for pleasure or for study)as 〜に遊ぶ
5. to intentionally throw a ball to lower the batter's concentrationBaseball term
あすぶ: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. bottom (or another side that is hidden from view); undersurface; opposite side; reverse sideAntonym: 表 おもて
- There's gum stuck to the back of my shoe.
2. rear; back; behind (the house)
- There was a large garden behind the house.
3. lining; inside
- Every cloud has a silver lining.
4. out of sight; behind the scenes; in the shadows
- When the accountant was arrested, rumour had it that it was for his creative bookkeeping.
5. proofSee also 裏付け
6. opposite (of a prediction, common sense, etc.)See also 裏をかく
7. inverse (of a hypothesis, etc.)
8. bottom (of an inning); last half (of an inning)Baseball term, Antonym: 表 おもて
- いま 、
- This is the bottom of what inning?
1. surfaceAntonym: 裏
2. face (i.e. the visible side of an object)
- みわ 。
- I cannot tell which is the right side of this paper.
3. front (of a building, etc.); obverse side (i.e. "head") of a coin
- I don't understand the problem; I could make neither head nor tail of it.
4. outside; exterior
- けんとう 。
- I don't know what kind of creature is making such a terrible noise outside tonight.
- あらわ 。
- An inner defect never fails to express itself outwardly.
7. first half (of an inning); top (of an inning)Baseball term, Antonym: 裏 うら
8. cover (for tatami mats, etc.)
9. foregroundComputer terminology
1. putting money aside; savings; deposit (e.g. in a bank)
2. accumulated surplus of wins; wins in the bankBaseball term
1. to pull; to draw; to pull tight
- の 。
- This material stretches easily.
2. to string (lines); to run (cable); to stretch
3. to pull towards oneself (e.g. someone's sleeve)
4. to drag; to haul; to tow
5. to lead (e.g. one's followers)
6. to take someone somewhere (e.g. a suspect to the police)
7. to tempt into joining; to strongly invite to join
8. to delay; to prolong
9. to lengthen the pronunciation (of a word)
10. to quote; to cite; to reference
11. to pull the ballBaseball term
12. to wear; to put on
引っぱる 【ひっぱる】、引張る 【ひっぱる】
1. to be hit; to strikeAntonym: 外す
- あ 。
- He fired but missed.
2. to touch; to be in contact; to be affixed
3. to be equivalent to; to be applicable; to apply to
- The cherry blossom is to Japan what the rose is to England.
4. to be right on the money (of a prediction, criticism, etc.)
- あ 。
- Strange to say, his prediction has come true.
5. to be selected (in a lottery, etc.); to win
- あ 。
- I got a camera in a lottery.
6. to be successful; to go well; to be a hit
7. to face; to confront
8. to lie (in the direction of)
9. to undertake; to be assigned
10. to be stricken (by food poisoning, heat, etc.); to be afflicted
- He was poisoned by the globefish he ate.
11. to be called upon (by the teacher)
12. to treat (esp. harshly); to lash out at
13. to be unnecessaryas 〜するには当たらない, etc.
14. to be hitting well; to be on a hitting streakBaseball term, usu. as 当たっている
15. (in fishing) to feel a bite
16. (of fruit, etc.) to be bruised; to spoil
17. to feel (something) out; to probe into; to check (i.e. by comparison)
18. to shave
19. to be a relative of a person; to stand in a relationshipas 〜の〜に当たる
当る 【あたる】、中る 【あたる】、中たる 【あたる】
1. to be packed (with); to be full (space, schedule, etc.)
- My throat feels clogged up.
2. to be blocked (road, pipe, etc.); to be clogged; to be plugged upSee also 鼻が詰まる
3. to shorten (width, interval, etc.); to shrink (shirt, word form, etc.); to narrow
5. to end up; to be settledSee also 詰まる所 つまるところ
6. to become a geminate consonantSee also 促音 そくおん
7. to hit the ball near the handle of the batBaseball term
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. blow; shock; strike; damage
- う 。
- I took such a hammering over recent months.
2. battingBaseball term
1. to hang (something) on (something); to throw on (clothes)
- で 。
- She threw on a coat and went.
2. to hook; to catch; to trap; to ensnare
- I caught my sweater on that nail.
3. to cheat; to evade payment; to jump a bill
4. to drink (alcohol)
5. to splash someone (with)See also ぶっ掛ける
- He dashed us with water.
6. to hit the ball off the end of the batBaseball term
引っかける 【ひっかける】、引っ懸ける 【ひっかける】
1. overcoatAbbreviation, See also オーバーコート
- Do you mean to do without an overcoat?
2. exceeding; going over; going beyond
- This bag is 4 kilograms overweight.
3. exaggerated; over the top; overdrawn; overreaction
4. over parSports term, Abbreviation, See also オーバーパー
5. overexposureAntonym: アンダー
6. Oba (Canada)
1. knock; knocking
- Someone knocked on the door.
2. fungo hitting; hitting balls for fielding practiceBaseball term
- とおりぬ 。
- The train traversed a tunnel.
2. to tunnel (through a potential barrier)Physics terminology
3. letting a grounder go through one's legsBaseball term
4. TunnelA tunnel is an underground passageway, completely enclose... Read more
2. base runnerBaseball term
3. BaserunningIn baseball, baserunning is the act of running around the... Read more
1. pitcherBaseball term
- The relief pitcher was no substitute for the ace.
2. PitcherIn baseball, the pitcher is the player who throws the bas... Read more
1. strikeout; strike out; fanning outBaseball term
- Retire a batter on his third strike.
2. StrikeoutIn baseball or softball, a strikeout or strike-out (denot... Read more
1. bases loadedBaseball term
- かい ２
- まんるい 。
- Bases loaded, two outs in the ninth inning.
2. Bases loadedIn the sport of baseball, the bases are loaded when there... Read more
1. base stealing; steal; stolen baseBaseball term
2. Stolen baseIn baseball, a stolen base occurs when a baserunner succe... Read more