Words — 168 found
1. section (i.e. of text); sentence; passage; paragraph
- He explained the literal meaning of the phrase.
- You can omit the preposition in this phrase.
3. verse (of 5 or 7 mora in Japanese poetry; of 4, 5, or 7 characters in Chinese poetry)
4. haiku; first 17 morae of a renga, etc.
5. maxim; saying; idiom; expression
6. PhraseIn everyday speech, a phrase may refer to any group of wo... Read more
1. haiku; 17-mora poem, usu. in 3 lines of 5, 7 and 5 morae
2. HaikuHaiku listen (no separate plural form) is a very short f... Read more
1. complaint; grumbling; objection
- That doesn't give you grounds for complaining.
2. phrase; words; expression
- The phrase is meant to insult people.
1. to divide; to separate; to partition; to demarcate; to delimit; to mark off
- くぎ 。
- The playground is divided into three areas by white lines.
2. to punctuate; to mark off (with a comma); to insert pauses (between words or phrases when reading aloud); to space one's words
句切る: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. after (a long process); at the end ofesp. 〜したあげく or 〜のあげく
2. last line (of a renga)See also 発句
挙げ句 【あげく】、揚げ句 【あげく】、揚句 【あげく】
1. (saying) with one voice; unanimously; in chorus; in unison; as oneYojijukugo (four character compound), usu. as 異口同音に
異句同音 【いくどうおん】、異口同音 【いこうどうおん】
異句同音: Irregular kanji usage.
1. flowery words; rhetorical flourishesYojijukugo (four character compound)
1. set phrase; stock phrase; conventional expression; usual wording; cliché; clichéd line
決り文句 【きまりもんく】、きまり文句 【きまりもんく】
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. pause (in speech, writing, etc.); punctuation
2. break; end; (place to) stop; pause; milestone (e.g. in a project)
1. undisputedly; perfectlySee also 文句なし
- The amateur singer won first in the talent show hands down.
1. working on a day off (to make up for lost time, or to make an impression)