Words — 323 found
1. river; streamOnly applies to かわ
- なが 。
- This river is three times longer than that one.
2. the .... river; (suffix used with the names of rivers)
- Which is longer, the Shinano River or the Agano River?
4. RiverA river is a natural watercourse, usually freshwater, flo... Read more
川 【がわ】、河 【かわ】、河 【がわ】
1. skin; hide; pelt; furSee also 革
- That football is made of genuine leather.
2. rind; peel; husk; bark
- I can peel an apple.
3. shell; sheath; wrapping
- Gyoza stuffing? I made some gyoza at home but, possibly because I didn't have enough dough, I had some of the filling left over.
- The shoes are made of leather.
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. side (of something, or taking someone's side); part
- Can I chew on this side?
2. (watch) case
1. cute; adorable; charming; lovely; prettyUsually written using kana alone
- Jill is smart as well as pretty.
2. dear; precious; darling; petUsually written using kana alone
- My children are very precious to me.
3. cute little; tinyUsually written using kana alone
- Look at the cute little baby sleeping in the cradle.
4. KawaiiKawaii (literally, "lovable", "cute", or "adorable") is t... Read more
可愛い 【かわゆい】、可愛ゆい 【かわゆい】、カワイイ、カワイい
可愛い: Ateji (phonetic) reading. かわゆい: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. 可愛い: Ateji (phonetic) reading. かわゆい: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. 可愛ゆい: Ateji (phonetic) reading.
Common word JLPT N2 Links
1. money order; draft
- Arranging this money order cost $50 in bank fees and commissions.
2. exchange (e.g. foreign)
3. Money orderA money order is a payment order for a pre-specified amou... Read more
かわし: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. substitute; replacement; substituting; replacing
- おく 。
- Instead of going myself, I sent a letter.
2. stand-in; proxy; alternate; deputy; relief; successor
- よこ 。
- Using a doubled-up cushion in place of a pillow I lie down on the hard wooden floor with nothing but a carpet spread over it.
3. compensation; exchange; returnSee also 代わりに, usu. as 〜代わりに, etc.
4. second helping; another cup; secondsSee also お代わり おかわり, usu. as お代わり
5. upcoming program; upcoming programmeAbbreviation, See also 替わり狂言, esp. 替わり, 替り
替わり 【かわり】、代り 【かわり】、替り 【かわり】
1. to get dry
- The wet shirt will soon dry up.
1. poor; pitiable; pathetic; pitifulUsually written using kana alone
- み 。
- I saw some poor cats kicked out.
可哀相 【かわいそう】、可哀そう 【かわいそう】
可哀想: Ateji (phonetic) reading. 可哀相: Ateji (phonetic) reading. 可哀そう: Ateji (phonetic) reading.
1. lovely; sweet
- My brother gave me a cute doll.
1. to succeed; to relieve; to replaceesp. 替わる, 替る
2. to take the place of; to substitute for; to take over for; to representesp. 代わる, 代る
3. to be exchanged; to change (places with); to switchesp. 換わる, 換る
代わる 【かわる】、換わる 【かわる】、替る 【かわる】、代る 【かわる】、換る 【かわる】
1. to love; to be affectionate; to favor; to favour; to be partial to
2. to torment; to tease; to be rough with
1. to dry (clothes, etc.); to desiccate
- The sun has dried up the ground.
1. to exchange (messages, greetings, arguments, etc.)
- There was a heated argument as to who should be appointed chairman.
2. to intersect; to cross; to interlace
3. ... with one another; ... to each otherafter the -masu stem of a verb
交す: Irregular okurigana usage.
Common word JLPT N1 Links
1. alternately; by turns
- こころ 。
- The two tried one after the other.
Common word Links
1. frogUsually written using kana alone
- There used to be a lot of frogs in this pond.
2. kajika frog (Buergeria buergeri)Only applies to かわず, Only applies to カワズ, See also 河鹿蛙
3. FrogFrogs are amphibians in the order Anura (meaning "tailles... Read more
蛤 【かえる】、蝦 【かえる】、蛙 【かわず】、蛙 【かいる】、カエル、カワズ
蛤: Irregular kanji usage. 蝦: Irregular kanji usage.
1. kappa; mythical water-dwelling creature
- やく 、
- とく 漱石
- こころ 』、芥川
- はな 』
- かっぱ 』
- よ 。
- At school I had enjoyed reading Japanese literature in English translation, in particular Soseki's I am a Cat and Kokoro, and Akutagawa's The Nose and Kappa.
2. excellent swimmerOnly applies to かっぱ
3. cucumberOnly applies to かっぱ, See also 胡瓜
4. rolled sushi containing a stick of cucumberAbbreviation, Only applies to かっぱ, See also 河童巻き
5. Kappa (folklore), alternatively called Kawatarō or Kawako, are legendary ... Read more
河童 【かわわっぱ】、河童 【かあっぱ】、河童 【かあらんべ】
かわわっぱ: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. かあっぱ: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. かあらんべ: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.