Words — 24 found
1. to peek (through a keyhole, gap, etc.)
- のぞ 。
- I peeped out through a crack in the wall.
2. to look down into (a ravine, etc.)
3. to peek into (a shop, bookstore, etc.)
- み 。
- I saw Mary looking into a show window.
4. to sneak a look at; to take a quick look at
- Don't look into the box.
5. to peep (through a telescope, microscope, etc.)
- He was looking through a microscope.
6. to stick out (a scarf from a collar, etc.); to peek through (sky through a forest canopy, etc.)
- のぞ 。
- The neighbor popped his head up over the wall for a moment.
7. to examine (an expression); to study (a face)
8. to faceArchaism, See also 臨む, esp. 臨く
覘く 【のぞく】、窺く 【のぞく】、臨く 【のぞく】
1. peeking; peeping (e.g. through a hole, narrow gap)
のぞき見 【のぞきみ】、覗きみ 【のぞきみ】
1. to peep (through); to peek; to examine (esp. covertly)Usually written using kana alone
- There is a look of appeal on her sad face.
2. to await (one's chance)Usually written using kana alone
- He watched for an opportunity to speak.
3. to guess; to infer; to gather; to surmiseUsually written using kana alone, usu. in the passive
- We can get a glimpse of the lifestyle of ancient people from this wall painting.
覗う: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. peep show; device with lens mounted on a stand or in a box to view enlarged pictures
覗き絡繰り 【のぞきからくり】、覗機関 【のぞきからくり】
覗機関: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. peep; peeping
2. peep show; device with lens mounted on a stand or in a box to view enlarged picturesAbbreviation, See also 覗き機関
1. to peek; to peepSee also 覗き見 のぞきみ
のぞき見る 【のぞきみる】、覗きみる 【のぞきみる】
1. to wait for an opportunityUsually written using kana alone, See also うかがう
チャンスを覗う 【チャンスをうかがう】、チャンスを伺う 【チャンスをうかがう】
チャンスを伺う: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to have a narrow view of things; to look at the ceiling through a reed
1. to wait for one's chance; to wait for an opportunity
機会をうかがう 【きかいをうかがう】、機会を覗う 【きかいをうかがう】