Words — 136 found
1. to do; to carry out; to performUsually written using kana alone
- い 。
- He said, "I will say nothing more, because I hate making excuses."
2. to cause to become; to make (into); to turn (into)Usually written using kana alone
- They will help you to get warm.
3. to serve as; to act as; to work asUsually written using kana alone
- かえ 。
- He used a headache as an excuse for leaving early.
4. to wear (clothes, a facial expression, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- Don't make such a sour face.
5. to judge as being; to view as being; to think of as; to treat as; to use asUsually written using kana alone, as 〜にする,〜とする
6. to decide on; to chooseUsually written using kana alone, as 〜にする
- All right. I'll take it.
7. to be sensed (of a smell, noise, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, as 〜がする
- This soup smells horrible. Do you think it's gone off?
8. to be (in a state, condition, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
9. to be worth; to costUsually written using kana alone
10. to pass (of time); to elapseUsually written using kana alone
- しゅっぱつ 。
- He is leaving in three days.
11. to place, or raise, person A to a post or status BUsually written using kana alone, as AをBにする
12. to transform A to B; to make A into B; to exchange A for BUsually written using kana alone, as AをBにする
13. to make use of A for B; to view A as B; to handle A as if it were BUsually written using kana alone, as AをBにする
14. to feel A about BUsually written using kana alone, as AをBにする
15. verbalizing suffix (applies to nouns noted in this dictionary with the part of speech "vs")Usually written using kana alone
17. to be just about to; to be just starting to; to try to; to attempt toUsually written using kana alone, See also とする, as 〜うとする,〜ようとする
為る: Rarely-used kanji form.
1. to print
- す 。
- We ran off 50 copies of the invitation.
2. to color or pattern fabric using a wooden mold
1. to rub; to chafe; to strike (match); to file; to frost (glass)
- Kelly struck a match and put it to his pipe.
2. to lose (e.g. a match); to forfeit; to squander one's money (e.g. through gambling, Pachinko, etc.)
- We shot our wad.
摩る 【する】、磨る 【する】、擂る 【する】
1. to pickpocket; to stealUsually written using kana alone, See also すり
1. sharp (blade); pointed
2. sharp (pain); stabbing; cutting (remark); stinging; pointed (question or look); screeching (noise)
3. perceptive; keen; quick (mind); astute; shrewd; discerning
4. nimble; agile; quick
Common word Links
1. ignoring; looking the other way; letting passColloquialism, From English “through”
- Dammit, she completely ignored me.
2. passing through; going through
3. ball hit through net (in tennis)Sports
1. Japanese common squid; Pacific flying squid (Todarodes pacificus)Usually written using kana alone
2. Japanese Flying SquidThe Japanese Flying Squid or Japanese Common Squid, Todar... Read more
1. dried squid; dried cuttlefishUsually written using kana alone
2. Japanese common squid (Todarodes pacificus)Usually written using kana alone, See also 鯣烏賊
3. (thing that) grows on one over timeSlang, Usually written using kana alone
4. Dried shredded squidDried shredded squid is a dried, seasoned, seafood produc... Read more
寿留女: Ateji (phonetic) reading.
1. form of bondage torture in which the victim is hung from the ceiling with their hands and legs bound behind them and a rock placed on their back (Edo period)Historical term
2. SloopFor the military definition of sloop see: Sloop-of-war. F... Read more
1. sulfonic acid
2. Sulfonic acidA sulfonic acid (sulphonic acid) refers to a member of th... Read more
1. sulfonamide; sulphonamide
2. Sulfonamide (chemistry)In chemistry, the sulfonamide functional group (also spel... Read more
2. ThroughputIn communication networks, such as Ethernet or packet rad... Read more
2. SulfadiazineSulfadiazine is a sulfonamide antibiotic.
1. Suruga (former province located in the central and northern parts of present-day Shizuoka Prefecture)Historical term