Words — 3173 found
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
- He gave a loud cry for help.
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to givePolite (teineigo)
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo), after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo), See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. to drink; to gulp; to swallow; to take (medicine)呑む is often used metaphorically; 服む is often used for medicine
- Must I take this medicine?
2. to smoke (tobacco)See also 喫む, also written 喫む
3. to engulf; to overwhelm
4. to keep down; to suppress
5. to accept (e.g. demand, condition)
6. to make light of; to conceal
7. DrinkingDrinking is the act of ingesting water or other drinks th... Read more
呑む 【のむ】、飮む 【のむ】、服む 【のむ】
飮む: Out-dated kanji. 服む: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to see; to look; to watch; to view; to observe
- Let's begin with the fifth line on page 10.
2. to look over; to look on; to assess; to examine; to judgeSee also 診る
- My head is swimming, so I'll try writing any-old stuff without any deep thought.
3. to look after; to keep an eye on; to take care ofUsually written using kana alone, See also 看る
- I can't look after my parents and such either.
4. to view (e.g. flowers, movie)usu. 観る
- い ？
- Would you like to take in a movie?
5. to try; to try out; to testUsually written using kana alone, usu. after a conative verb as 〜てみる
- May I put it on again?
6. to see that...; to find that...Usually written using kana alone, usu. after an aconative verb as 〜てみると, 〜てみれば, 〜てみたら, etc.
観る 【みる】、視る 【みる】
1. to be aware of; to know; to be conscious of; to cognize; to cognise
2. to notice; to feel
3. to understand; to comprehend; to grasp
4. to remember; to be acquainted with (a procedure)
5. to experience; to go through; to learn
6. to be acquainted with (a person); to get to know
7. to concern
1. to talk; to speak; to converse; to chat
- はな 。
- John talked with his customer on the phone.
2. to tell; to explain; to narrate; to mention; to describe; to discuss
- Please tell me about your hobbies.
3. to speak (a language)
- はな 。
- English is spoken in Canada.
1. to buy; to purchasein western Japan, 買う conjugates euphonically as こうた, こうて, etc.
- John claimed that the dishonest salesman had tricked him into buying a useless piece of machinery.
2. to value; to have a high opinion
- か 。
- We fully appreciate his excellence as a skier.
3. to stir; to provoke
- His constant insults aroused my anger.
1. to read
2. to countSee also さばを読む, now mostly used in idioms
3. to guess; to predict; to read (someone's thoughts); to see (e.g. into someone's heart); to divine
1. to take; to pick up; to harvest; to earn; to win; to choose
- You'd better eat everything that's on your plate.
2. to stealSee also 盗る
3. to eat; to have (a meal)See also 摂る
- You should drink a lot of liquid.
4. to remove (one's glasses, etc.)also written as 脱る
5. to compete (in sumo, cards, etc.); to play
1. to use (a thing, method, etc.); to make use of; to put to use
- "Can I use your dictionary?" "Yes, here you are."
2. to use (a person, animal, puppet, etc.); to employ; to handle; to manage; to manipulateSee also 人使い
- It has become common practise to employ foreigners working abroad from Asian countries as maids.
3. to use (time, money, etc.); to spend; to consume
- つか 。
- Don't use all the hot water.
4. to use (language); to speakSee also 言葉遣い
1. to waitOnly applies to 待つ
2. to await; to look forward to; to anticipate
3. to depend on; to needusu. in negative form
1. to make; to produce; to manufacture; to build; to construct造る usu. for large-scale building, manufacturing, etc. 創る usu. for creating
- つく 。
- Wherever he may go, he is sure to make friends.
2. to prepare (food); to brew (alcohol)
- つく 。
- You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs.
3. to raise; to grow; to cultivate; to trainSee also 野菜を作る
- It's much cheaper to live on grains and vegetables you can grow in your garden.
4. to till
5. to draw up (a document); to make out; to prepare; to write
- You should try to produce grammatical sentences.
6. to create (an artistic work, etc.); to compose
- つく 、
- Desktop publishing lets you produce books quickly and cheaply. It's like killing two birds with one stone.
7. to coin (a phrase); to organize; to organise; to establish; to found
8. to have (a child)
9. to make up (one's face, etc.)
10. to fabricate (an excuse, etc.)
11. to form (a line, etc.)
12. to set (a record)
- おも 。
- I insist that exceptions not be made.
13. to commit (a sin, etc.)
造る 【つくる】、創る 【つくる】
1. to take out; to get out
- You can withdraw some money out of the bank, if you need any.
2. to put out; to reveal; to show
- I want to remain anonymous in this.
3. to submit (e.g. thesis); to turn in
- Read over your paper before you hand it in.
4. to publish; to make public
- いちがつ ２０
- ひ （
- げつようび ）
- くだ 。
- We'll release the final agenda on the morning of Monday, January 20, so please reply quickly.
5. to send (e.g. letter)See also 手紙を出す
- Sending manuscript after manuscript paid off. A magazine finally published my work.
6. to produce (a sound); to start (fire)See also 声を出す
- だ 。
- The government issued the following statement.
7. to serve (food)
- だ 。
- They serve excellent food here.
8. to begin ...; to start to ...; to burst into ...after the -masu stem of a verb
- How long have you had this pain?
1. to wear (in modern Japanese, from the shoulders down); to put on
- "You had better not wear the red dress." "Why not?"
2. to bear (guilt, etc.)
- The man was branded as a traitor.
1. to call out (to); to call; to invoke
- よ 、
- He will come if you call him.
2. to summon (a doctor, etc.)
- い 。
- You invited me to your party, but I can't make it this time.
3. to invite
- たず 。
- "Are you sure you want to call the police?" I asked her.
4. to designate; to name; to brand
- よ 。
- This movie has won great popularity.
5. to garner (support, etc.); to gather
- You will be called Cephas.
6. to take as one's wifeArchaism, See also 娶る
1. to hang (e.g. picture); to hoist (e.g. sail); to raise (e.g. flag)Usually written using kana alone, See also 壁にかける
- Put your coat on a hanger.
2. to sitUsually written using kana alone, See also 腰を掛ける
- くだ 。
- Please have a seat.
3. to take (time, money); to expend (money, time, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 時間を掛ける
- The train was on the point of leaving when I got to the station.
4. to make (a call)Usually written using kana alone, See also 電話を掛ける
- Can I make a phone call for ten yen?
5. to multiplyUsually written using kana alone
- か ２
- Four multiplied by two is eight.
6. to secure (e.g. lock)Usually written using kana alone, See also 鍵を掛ける
7. to put on (glasses, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 眼鏡を掛ける
- The lady wore a necklace of pearls.
8. to coverUsually written using kana alone
- か 、
- いれ 。
- The car is kept in a garage, under cover and locked.
9. to burden someoneUsually written using kana alone, See also 迷惑を掛ける
10. to apply (insurance)Usually written using kana alone, See also 保険を掛ける
- か 。
- The freight was insured against all risks.
11. to turn on (an engine, etc.); to set (a dial, an alarm clock, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- Bob and Mary play the recorder.
12. to put an effect (spell, anaesthetic, etc.) onUsually written using kana alone
- I'll bewitch him into a frog!
13. to hold an emotion for (pity, hope, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
- Everybody showed sympathy toward the prisoner.
14. to bindUsually written using kana alone, also 繋ける
- Do up the box with decorative tape.
15. to pour (or sprinkle, spray, etc.) ontoUsually written using kana alone, See also 塩をかける
- The cook hasn't put any on it.
16. to argue (in court); to deliberate (in a meeting); to present (e.g. idea to a conference, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, See also 裁判に掛ける
- The question is before the committee.
17. to increase furtherUsually written using kana alone
18. to catch (in a trap, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
19. to set atopUsually written using kana alone
20. to erect (a makeshift building)Usually written using kana alone
21. to hold (a play, festival, etc.)Usually written using kana alone
22. to wager; to bet; to risk; to stake; to gambleUsually written using kana alone, See also 賭ける かける
23. to be partway doing ...; to begin (but not complete) ...; to be about to ...Usually written using kana alone, See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb
- But the farmer smiled at him.
24. indicates (verb) is being directed to (someone)Usually written using kana alone, See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb
1. to sing
- What did John sing on the stage?
2. to sing (one's praises in a poem, etc.); to compose a poem; to recite a poemesp. 歌う, 詠う
唄う 【うたう】、謡う 【うたう】、詠う 【うたう】、唱う 【うたう】
1. to request; to beg; to ask
- May I request a favour of you?
2. to call; to order; to reserve
- とど 。
- I'm still waiting for my order.
3. to entrust to
- Take care of Mr. Tanaka for me!
4. to rely onesp. 恃む
恃む 【たのむ】、憑む 【たのむ】
1. to borrow; to have a loan
- May I borrow this book?
2. to rent; to hire
- I want to rent an apartment with two rooms.
1. to sell
- う 。
- Gasoline is sold by the liter.
1. to wash
- When you wash the bag, please do not put it in the washing machine.
2. to investigate