Words — 751 found
1. to say; to utter; to declare
- い 。
- John said, "Hey guys, let's take a break."
2. to name; to call
- What do you call this animal in Japanese?
3. to go (e.g. "the alarm went ping"); to make a noiseOnly applies to 言う
言う 【ゆう】、云う 【いう】、云う 【ゆう】、謂う 【いう】、謂う 【ゆう】
1. to buy; to purchasein western Japan, 買う conjugates euphonically as こうた, こうて, etc.
- John claimed that the dishonest salesman had tricked him into buying a useless piece of machinery.
2. to value; to have a high opinion
- か 。
- We fully appreciate his excellence as a skier.
3. to stir; to provoke
- His constant insults aroused my anger.
1. to use (a thing, method, etc.); to make use of; to put to use
- "Can I use your dictionary?" "Yes, here you are."
2. to use (a person, animal, puppet, etc.); to employ; to handle; to manage; to manipulateSee also 人使い
- It has become common practise to employ foreigners working abroad from Asian countries as maids.
3. to use (time, money, etc.); to spend; to consume
- つか 。
- Don't use all the hot water.
4. to use (language); to speakSee also 言葉遣い
1. to sing
- What did John sing on the stage?
2. to sing (one's praises in a poem, etc.); to compose a poem; to recite a poemesp. 歌う, 詠う
唄う 【うたう】、謡う 【うたう】、詠う 【うたう】、唱う 【うたう】
1. to wash
- When you wash the bag, please do not put it in the washing machine.
2. to investigate
1. to meet; to encounter; to see逢う is often used for close friends, etc. and may be associated with drama or pathos; 遭う may have an undesirable nuance
- おぼえ 。
- I remember seeing him before.
2. to have an accident; to have a bad experienceUsually written using kana alone, esp. 遭う when in kanji
逢う 【あう】、遭う 【あう】、遇う 【あう】
1. to differ (from); to vary
- ちが 。
- I differ from you on that point.
2. to not be in the usual condition
- Is he mad that he should say such a foolish thing?
3. to not match the correct (answer, etc.)
- You're going the wrong way.
4. to be different from promisedSee also 話が違う
5. isn't it?; wasn't it?Kansai dialect, at sentence-end, often as 〜のと違うか
1. to take lessons in; to be taught; to learn (from a teacher); to study (under a teacher); to get training in
- なら 。
- I have been learning to drive.
1. to smoke; to breathe in; to inhale
- High school students who flagrantly smoke in class and the teachers who can't caution them will be punished.
2. to suck; to sip; to slurp
3. to absorb; to soak up
- す 。
- This paper does not absorb ink.
4. to kiss
1. to think; to consider; to believe想う has connotations of heart-felt
2. to think (of doing); to plan (to do)
3. to judge; to assess; to regard
4. to imagine; to suppose; to dream
5. to expect; to look forward to
6. to feel; to desire; to want
7. to recall; to remember
想う 【おもう】、念う 【おもう】、憶う 【おもう】、懐う 【おもう】、惟う 【おもう】
1. to pay (e.g. money, bill)
- I'm not sure I can afford it.
2. to brush off; to wipe away; to clear away; to dust off; to cut off (e.g. branches)
- はら 。
- Jack brushed the dust off his coat.
3. to drive away (e.g. one's competitors)
4. to sell off (something unneeded); to dispose of
5. to pay (e.g. attention); to show (e.g. respect, concern)
6. to make (e.g. effort, sacrifice); to expend; to exert
7. to move out (of one's own place); to vacate
8. to sweep (e.g. one's legs); to knock aside
9. to make a sweeping stroke (in Japanese calligraphy)
10. to reset (an abacus)
1. to come together; to merge; to unite; to meet
- あ 。
- This waistcoat won't meet at the front.
2. to fit; to match; to suit; to agree with; to be correct
- This white coat will look very nice on you.
3. to be profitable; to be equitable
4. to do ... to each other; to do ... togetherafter the -masu stem of a verb
- The two ladies smiled at each other.
おう: Irregular kana usage.
1. to laugh
- わら 。
- The whole class laughed at his joke.
2. to smile
- わら 。
- But he did not often smile.
3. to sneer; to ridiculeesp. 嗤う
- Phppt! That's what you get for laughing at a girl!
4. to be dumbfounded; to be flabbergastedas 笑ってしまう or 笑っちゃう
咲う 【わらう】、嗤う 【わらう】
1. to be in time for
- いそ 。
- Hurry up in order to catch the train.
2. to serve (suit, meet) the purpose; to be good enough; to be enough
- This will do for the time being.
間にあう 【まにあう】、まに合う 【まにあう】
1. to face
- でんじは 。
- I sit in front of a computer screen all day, so I get pretty heavily bombarded by electro-magnetic waves.
2. to go towards; to head towards
- Where are you bound for?
向う 【むかう】、対う 【むかう】
1. to perform; to do; to conduct oneself; to carry out
- Do everything at your own risk.
1. to go to and from (a place); to go back and forth between; to run between (e.g. bus, train, etc.); to ply between
- He haunts the lowest resorts.
2. to go to (school, work, etc.); to attend; to commute; to frequent
- Children of six and above should attend school.
4. to resemble
1. to help; to assist; to aid
2. to contribute to; to be a factor in
1. to pick up; to find; to gather
- Where did you find this wallet?
1. to lose; to part with
- うしな 。
- My mistake cost me my fortune.
喪う: Irregular kanji usage.