Words — 129 found
1. degree; extent; bounds; limitUsually written using kana alone
- I wish I could play the piano as well as Susie.
2. indicates approx. amount or maximum; upper limitUsually written using kana alone
- "When did Mr Ogawa arrive?" "Ten minutes ago."
1. end; finish; stop
- His curiosity knew no bounds.
- はや 、
- You should call your mother as soon as possible.
3. delivery date (of a futures contract)esp. 限り,限
4. finale (of a noh song); end of an act (in joruri or kabuki); final performance of the day (in vaudeville)
- You will fail unless you work harder.
5. counter for slices (esp. thick slices); counter for cuts (e.g. fish, meat)
- ほんげつ ２５
- こと 。
- Tuition fees must be paid not later than the 25th of this month.
6. only; justUsually written using kana alone, See also っ切り っきり, senses 6-8 are sometimes pronounced ぎり, esp. in old-fashioned speech
7. since; afterUsually written using kana alone, usu. in a negative sentence
8. remaining (in a particular state)Usually written using kana alone
限り 【きり】、限 【きり】
限: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. et cetera; etc.; and the like; and so forthUsually written using kana alone
- Two, four, six, etc. are even numbers.
2. or somethingUsually written using kana alone, after an approximate quote or vague suggestion
3. the likes ofUsually written using kana alone, lessening the significance or value of the previous word
- き 。
- I am in no mood for joking.
Common word JLPT N4 Links
1. but; however; although
- I love him despite his faults.
1. until (a time); till; to; up toUsually written using kana alone
2. to (a place); as far asUsually written using kana alone
3. to (an extent); up to; so far as; evenUsually written using kana alone
4. only; merelyUsually written using kana alone
1. only; just; merely; simply; no more than; nothing but; aloneUsually written using kana alone, See also しか
2. as (e.g. as soon as, as much as)Usually written using kana alone
3. worthUsually written using kana alone, e.g. ...だけの
1. indicates direct object of action
- My father chose not to disturb my optimism.
2. indicates subject of causative expression
- I couldn't make myself heard in the classroom.
3. indicates an area traversed
- くだ 。
- We went down the river in a small boat.
4. indicates time (period) over which action takes place
- はじ 。
- After 6 p.m. the employees began to disappear.
5. indicates point of departure or separation of action
- で 。
- He left the restaurant without paying.
6. indicates object of desire, like, hate, etc.See also が
- Who is it that you want to talk to?
7. Wo (kana)を, in hiragana, or ヲ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
1. indicates possessiveSee also 乃, occasionally ん, orig. written 乃 or 之
- Visit my webpage and find out more about me.
2. nominalizes verbs and adjectives
- As time went on, rules were added to the game to make it safer.
3. substitutes for "ga" in subordinate phrasesSee also が
- There were almost 100 people, few of whom I had seen before.
4. (at sentence-end, falling tone) indicates a confident conclusionoften ん
- I get up at six.
5. (at sentence-end) indicates emotional emphasisFemale term or language
- My father doesn't let me go out alone at night.
6. (at sentence-end, rising tone) indicates question
- Do you have a part time job?
7. No (kana)の, in hiragana, or ノ in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
Common word JLPT N5 Links
2. from; out of; since; at; on
- とうじょう ！
- Now Beth enters, stage right!
3. except; but; other than
- しかた 。
- I had no choice but to stay.
- Since we can't find a better one, let's make the best of what we have.
5. Yori (kana), read as yori, is a typographic ligature in the Japanese... Read more
Common word JLPT N3 Links
1. if; when
- This shampoo comes with a nice hair brush.
- The sum of 12, 24, 7 and 11 is 54.
- I have enjoyed talking to you.
4. particle used for quoting (with speech, thoughts, etc.); quoting particleSee also って
- うつく 」
- みにく 」
- The words 'beautiful' and 'ugly' are relative terms.
5. promoted pawn, Abbreviation, See also と金
6. indicates question (sentence end)Kyuushuu dialect
7. To (kana)と, in hiragana, or ト in katakana, is one of the Japanese ... Read more
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. but; however; though; nevertheless; still; yet; even so
- い 。「
- "I did that," she complained, "but there was no water in it!"
- If that man makes one more mistake, I'll fire him.
3. however; no matter how; even if; even though
- You look as if you had seen a ghost.
4. ... or something
5. either ... or ...; neither ... nor ...as 〜でも〜でも
6. pseudo-; quack; in-name-onlybefore an occupation, etc.
7. for lack of anything better to doSee also でもしか, before an occupation, etc.
1. indicates location of action; at; inにて is the formal literary form
- Do you remember what Kathy had on at the party?
2. indicates time of action
- They will have been staying here for two months next Sunday.
3. indicates means of action; cause of effect; by
- りつ ２
- たい １
- The odds are two-to-one that the Reds win.
4. and then; so
- And so it seems she tried phoning but it's who was on the other end of that phone that was the problem.
5. indicates continuing actionOnly applies to で, See also て, alternate form of 〜て used for some verb types
6. indicates certainty, emphasis, etc.Kansai dialect, Only applies to で, See also よ, at sentence-end
1. from (e.g. time, place, numerical quantity); since
- ごぜん ８
- じ １０
- はじ 。
- School begins at 8:10 a.m.
2. from (originator); by
- Will I make it through?
3. because; sincefollows verbs, adjectives
- Since the light in his room is on, he must have come home.
4. out of (constituent, part)
- のこ 。
- Two from ten leaves eight.
5. through (e.g. window, vestibule)
6. after; sincefollowing the te-form of a verb
- Shake before using.
1. that being the case; because of ...; the reason is ....; given that...
- よ 。
- It is too dark for me to read.
1. although; despite; even though; and yet
- The small house had come to look shabby, though it was just as good as ever underneath.
2. whereas; while
3. if only; I wish
- If only I was younger.
4. in order to
1. indicates word or phrase being defined
- The rich are not always happy.
1. only; merely; nothing but; no more thanUsually written using kana alone
- I have about 5,000 yen.
2. approximately; aboutUsually written using kana alone
- い 。
- That sister of yours is always complaining of her husband.
3. just (finished, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, after the -ta form of a verb
- "Have you finished it?" "On the contrary, I've just begun."
4. as if to; (as though) about toUsually written using kana alone, See also 言わんばかり いわんばかり, after an attributive form or auxiliary verb ぬ(ん), also often …とばかり(に)
5. indicates emphasisUsually written using kana alone, in the form …とばかり or …とばかりに
6. always; constantlyUsually written using kana alone
許り 【ばっかり】、許 【ばかり】、許 【ばっかり】、許 【ばっか】