Words — 627 found
1. to drink; to gulp; to swallow; to take (medicine)呑む is often used metaphorically; 服む is often used for medicine
- Must I take this medicine?
2. to smoke (tobacco)See also 喫む, also written 喫む
3. to engulf; to overwhelm
4. to keep down; to suppress
5. to accept (e.g. demand, condition)
6. to make light of; to conceal
7. DrinkingDrinking is the act of ingesting water or other drinks th... Read more
呑む 【のむ】、飮む 【のむ】、服む 【のむ】
飮む: Out-dated kanji. 服む: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to read
2. to countSee also さばを読む, now mostly used in idioms
3. to guess; to predict; to read (someone's thoughts); to see (e.g. into someone's heart); to divine
1. to request; to beg; to ask
- May I request a favour of you?
2. to call; to order; to reserve
- とど 。
- I'm still waiting for my order.
3. to entrust to
- Take care of Mr. Tanaka for me!
4. to rely onesp. 恃む
恃む 【たのむ】、憑む 【たのむ】
1. to be absent; to take a day off
- やす 。
- He often absents himself from meetings.
2. to rest; to have a break
- やす 。
- He rested for a while.
3. to go to bed; to (lie down to) sleep; to turn in; to retire
- やす 。
- Father is still in bed.
4. to stop doing some ongoing activity for a time; to suspend business
- The enemy attack ceased at dawn.
1. to enjoy (oneself)
愉しむ 【たのしむ】、楽む 【たのしむ】
楽む: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to advance; to go forward
2. to precede; to go ahead (of)
3. to make progress; to improve
4. to deepen; to heighten
5. to be fast (of a clock); to be ahead
6. to do of one's own free willSee also 進んで
1. to steal
1. to step on; to tread on; to trample on
- The man did not so much as apologize for stepping on my foot.
2. to set foot on (e.g. foreign soil); to stand on; to visit
- Her first appearance on the stage was in 1969.
3. to experience; to undergo
4. to follow (rules, principles, etc.); to go through (e.g. formalities); to complete
- I had expected stronger resistance from the enemy but if anything there are less of them as we advance to the centre... Don't you think that's strange?
5. to estimate; to guess; to judge; to value; to appraise
6. to rhymeSee also 韻を踏む
- No matter what you do, you must follow the correct order.
7. to succeed to (e.g. the throne)
履む 【ふむ】、践む 【ふむ】
1. to cease; to stop; to be over
已む 【やむ】、罷む 【やむ】
1. to finish; to end; to be completed
- す 。
- We got through the work just before ten.
2. to merely result in something less severe than expected
- す 。
- However he wasn't seriously hurt and got away with light bruising.
3. to feel at ease
4. to feel unease or guilt for troubling someone; to be sorrySee also すみません, in the negative
濟む: Out-dated kanji.
1. to be crowded; to be packed
- The roads are very crowded at this time of the day.
2. to be complexSee also 手の込んだ
3. to go into; to put into; to remain (seated); to be plunged into (silence); to do thoroughlyOnly applies to 込む
4. to do intentlyOnly applies to 込む
5. to continue in the same stateOnly applies to 込む
混む 【こむ】、籠む 【こむ】、篭む 【こむ】
籠む: Irregular kanji usage. 篭む: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to bite; to chew; to gnaw
- い 。
- "My teeth are too weak for apples," said the boy.
2. to crash against (e.g. of waves); to break onto (shore)
3. to engage (of cogs, zippers, etc.); to mesh; to fit together
4. to be involved inSee also 一枚噛む
5. to fumble one's words (during a play, broadcast, etc.); to falter with one's words
6. to strongly confute; to argue down; to rebuke; to scold harshlyArchaism
咬む 【かむ】、嚙む 【かむ】、嚼む 【かむ】
1. to desire
2. to wish for; to expect
3. to see; to command (a view of)
1. to like; to prefer
1. to surround; to encircle; to enclose; to fence; to wall in
2. to besiege; to lay siege to
3. to play (go, shogi, etc.)
かごむ: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. to cross (legs or arms); to link (arms)
2. to put together; to construct; to assemble; to produce (e.g. TV program)
3. to braid; to plait
4. to grapple; to wrestle
5. to unite; to join; to link up; to form an alliance
6. to set (e.g. type)
7. to issue (e.g. money order)
1. to be worried; to be troubled
1. to be sad; to mourn for; to regret
1. to seize; to catch; to grasp; to grip; to grab; to clutch; to hold; to catch hold of; to lay one's hands onUsually written using kana alone
2. to obtain; to acquire; to get; to win; to captureUsually written using kana alone
3. to understand; to grasp; to comprehendUsually written using kana alone
摑む 【つかむ】、攫む 【つかむ】、把む 【つかむ】、捉む 【つかむ】