Words — 618 found
1. to drink; to gulp; to swallow; to take (medicine)呑む is often used metaphorically; 服む is often used for medicine
- Must I take this medicine?
2. to smoke (tobacco)See also 喫む, also written 喫む
3. to engulf; to overwhelm
4. to keep down; to suppress
5. to accept (e.g. demand, condition)
6. to make light of; to conceal
7. DrinkingDrinking is the act of ingesting water or other drinks th... Read more
呑む 【のむ】、飮む 【のむ】、服む 【のむ】
飮む: Out-dated kanji. 服む: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to read
2. to countSee also さばを読む, now mostly used in idioms
3. to guess; to predict; to read (someone's thoughts); to see (e.g. into someone's heart); to divine
1. to request; to beg; to ask
- May I request a favour of you?
2. to call; to order; to reserve
- とど 。
- I'm still waiting for my order.
3. to entrust to
- Take care of Mr. Tanaka for me!
4. to rely onesp. 恃む
恃む 【たのむ】、憑む 【たのむ】
1. to be absent; to take a day off
- やす 。
- He often absents himself from meetings.
2. to rest; to have a break
- やす 。
- He rested for a while.
3. to go to bed; to (lie down to) sleep; to turn in; to retire
- やす 。
- Father is still in bed.
4. to stop doing some ongoing activity for a time; to suspend business
- The enemy attack ceased at dawn.
1. to live (of humans); to reside; to inhabit; to dwell; to abideSee also 棲む
- あいだ 、
- How long have you lived in Kobe?
1. to enjoy (oneself)
- たの 。
- Mr Grey did not enjoy his job.
愉しむ 【たのしむ】、楽む 【たのしむ】
楽む: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to steal
- ぬす 。
- A number of books were stolen.
1. to step on; to tread on
- The man did not so much as apologize for stepping on my foot.
2. to experience; to undergo
- Her first appearance on the stage was in 1969.
3. to estimate; to value; to appraise
4. to rhyme
- I had expected stronger resistance from the enemy but if anything there are less of them as we advance to the centre... Don't you think that's strange?
5. to inherit (the throne, etc.)Archaism
6. to follow (rules, morals, principles, etc.)
- No matter what you do, you must follow the correct order.
履む 【ふむ】、践む 【ふむ】
1. to cease; to stop; to be over
- If only it would stop raining!
已む 【やむ】、罷む 【やむ】
1. to finish; to end; to be completed
- す 。
- We got through the work just before ten.
2. to merely result in something less severe than expected
- す 。
- However he wasn't seriously hurt and got away with light bruising.
3. to feel at ease
4. to feel unease or guilt for troubling someone; to be sorrySee also すみません, in the negative
濟む: Out-dated kanji.
1. to be crowded; to be packed
- The roads are very crowded at this time of the day.
2. to be complexSee also 手の込んだ
3. to go into; to put into; to remain (seated); to be plunged into (silence); to do thoroughlyOnly applies to 込む
4. to do intentlyOnly applies to 込む
5. to continue in the same stateOnly applies to 込む
混む 【こむ】、籠む 【こむ】、篭む 【こむ】
籠む: Irregular kanji usage. 篭む: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to desire
2. to wish for; to expect
3. to see; to command (a view of)
1. to like; to prefer
- この 。
- Quite a few Americans like sushi.
1. to surround; to encircle; to enclose; to fence; to wall in
2. to besiege; to lay siege to
3. to play (go, shogi, etc.)
かごむ: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. to cross (legs or arms); to link (arms)
2. to put together; to construct; to assemble; to produce (e.g. TV program)
3. to braid; to plait
4. to grapple; to wrestle
5. to unite; to join; to link up; to form an alliance
6. to set (e.g. type)
7. to issue (e.g. money order)
1. to be worried; to be troubled
- There is no profit in worrying.
1. to be sad; to mourn for; to regret
- Do not obtrude upon her sorrow.
1. to seize; to catch; to grasp; to grip; to grab; to hold; to catch hold of; to lay one's hands on; to clutchUsually written using kana alone
2. to understand; to grasp; to comprehendUsually written using kana alone
摑む 【つかむ】、攫む 【つかむ】、把む 【つかむ】、捉む 【つかむ】
1. to sink; to go under; to submerge
2. to go down (e.g. sun); to set; to descend
3. to feel depressed
1. to smile
- I cannot help smiling at babies.
頬笑む 【ほほえむ】、ほほ笑む 【ほほえむ】