1. seed (e.g. of a plant); pip; kind; variety; quality; tone
- は 。
- You must sow before you can reap.
2. material (e.g. for an article); matter (e.g. of a story); subject; theme; (news) copy
3. ingredient; leaven (bread); main ingredient of a sushiFood term
4. cause; source
- If you do that, you're going to subject yourself to ridicule.
5. trick; secret; magician's trick; inside story
6. paternal blood; lineageSee also 胤
7. breed (of a stock); sperm; semen
8. 10-point card (in hanafuda); tane; animal cardUsually written using kana alone, oft. as タネ
Log in to talk about this word.