Words — 2409 found
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
- He gave a loud cry for help.
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to givePolite (teineigo)
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo), after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo), See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】
1. to run
- Look at that boy running.
2. to travel (movement of vehicles); to drive; to flow (e.g. energy)
- はし 。
- This train runs between Tokyo and Osaka.
3. to hurry to
4. to retreat (from battle); to take flight
5. to run away from homeesp. 奔る
6. to elope
7. to tend heavily towardesp. 趨る
- Editors often go to extremes in providing their readers with unimportant facts.
8. to flash; to streak; to shoot through (e.g. pain)
9. RunningRunning is a means of terrestrial locomotion allowing hum... Read more
奔る 【はしる】、趨る 【はしる】
1. to become; to get; to grow; to be; to reach; to attainUsually written using kana alone
- When you go, I'll miss you very much.
2. to result in; to prove to be
- The news turned out true in a week.
3. to consist of; to be composed of
- な 。
- Nine players make up a team.
4. to succeed; to be complete
5. to change into; to be exchanged for
6. to play a roleSee also 成り済ます
7. to be promotedShogi term
8. to do ...Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo), as お+masu-stem+になる, ご+noun+になる, etc.
1. to live; to exist
2. to make a living; to subsist
3. to be in effect; to be in use; to function
4. to come to life; to be enlivened
5. to be safe (in baseball, go, etc.)
6. To Live (film)To Live is a Chinese film directed by Zhang Yimou in 1994... Read more
1. to stream; to flow (liquid, time, etc.); to run (ink)
- ながれ 。
- The Seine flows through Paris.
2. to be washed away; to be carried
- なが 。
- Pure water was washed away to this river as well at that time.
3. to drift; to float (e.g. clouds); to wander; to stray
4. to sweep (e.g. rumour, fire); to spread; to circulate
- なが 。
- Word got around that Jeanette and Dave were having an affair.
5. to be heard (e.g. music); to be played
- The news has just come on the radio.
6. to lapse (e.g. into indolence, despair)
7. to pass; to elapse; to be transmitted
8. to be called off; to be forfeited
9. to disappear; to be removed
10. NagareruNagareru is a 1956 Japanese film directed by Mikio Naruse... Read more
1. to be (usu. of inanimate objects); to exist; to liveUsually written using kana alone, See also 居る いる
- Excuse me; allow me to point out three errors in the above article.
2. to haveUsually written using kana alone
- I'm sorry, I have another engagement.
3. to be locatedUsually written using kana alone
4. to be equipped withUsually written using kana alone
5. to happen; to come aboutUsually written using kana alone
1. to be able (in a position) to do; to be up to the taskUsually written using kana alone
- I'm sorry, I can't stay long.
2. to be ready; to be completedUsually written using kana alone
- お 」
- "Is the essay ready?" "No, I'm sorry. I haven't finished writing it yet."
3. to be made; to be builtUsually written using kana alone
- That football is made of genuine leather.
4. to be good at; to be permitted (to do)Usually written using kana alone
- May I use your toilet?
5. to become intimate; to take up (with somebody)Usually written using kana alone
- They seem to be in love with each other.
6. to grow; to be raisedUsually written using kana alone
- でき 。
- Oranges grow in warm countries.
7. to become pregnantUsually written using kana alone
出きる 【できる】、出來る 【できる】
出來る: Out-dated kanji.
1. to leave; to exit; to go out; to come out; to get outAntonym: 入る はいる
- It's true that a ghost appeared at my house.
2. to leave (on a journey); to depart; to start out; to set out
- おお 。
- Many American students work their way through the university.
3. to move forward
- He didn't answer the phone, so I left him an email.
4. to come to; to get to; to lead to; to reach
5. to appear; to come out; to emerge; to surface; to come forth; to turn up; to be found; to be detected; to be discovered; to be exposed; to show; to be exhibited; to be on display
6. to appear (in print); to be published; to be announced; to be issued; to be listed; to come out
7. to attend; to participate; to take part; to enter (an event); to play in; to perform
8. to be stated; to be expressed; to come up; to be brought up; to be raised
9. to sell
10. to exceed; to go over
11. to stick out; to protrude
12. to break out; to occur; to start; to originate
13. to be produced
14. to come from; to be derived from
15. to be given; to get; to receive; to be offered; to be provided; to be presented; to be submitted; to be handed in; to be turned in; to be paid
16. to answer (phone, door, etc.); to get
17. to assume (an attitude); to act; to behave
18. to pick up (speed, etc.); to gain
19. to flow (e.g. tears); to run; to bleed
20. to graduate
1. to waitOnly applies to 待つ
2. to await; to look forward to; to anticipate
3. to depend on; to needusu. in negative form
1. to go; to move (in a direction or towards a specific location); to head (towards); to be transported (towards); to reachSee also 来る くる
- おかあ 、
- Can I go swimming, Mother?
2. to proceed; to take placeSee also 旨く行く, い sometimes omitted in auxiliary use
- We'll have to try and make the best of it.
3. to pass through; to come and go
- These rules have been and always will be observed.
4. to walk
5. to die; to pass awayOnly applies to 逝く
6. to do (in a specific way)
7. to stream; to flow
8. to continue
9. to have an orgasm; to come; to cumUsually written using kana alone
10. to trip; to get high; to have a drug-induced hallucinationUsually written using kana alone, Slang
行く 【ゆく】、往く 【いく】、往く 【ゆく】、逝く 【いく】、逝く 【ゆく】
往く: Out-dated kanji. 往く: Out-dated kanji. 逝く: Out-dated kanji. 逝く: Out-dated kanji.
1. to get on (train, plane, bus, ship, etc.); to get in; to board; to take; to embark
- I'm catching the 11:00 train.
2. to get on (e.g. a footstool); to step on; to jump on; to sit on; to mountSee also 載る のる
- You really put that much in the sandwich?
3. to reach; to go over; to pass
- だま 」
- まちが 。
- If you say "I was tricked," well that's certainly so but there's no mistaking that you were the one who signed up on a "sweet deal".
4. to follow; to stay (on track); to go with (the times, etc.)
- の 。
- A full description of him has been circulated in every newspaper.
5. to take part; to participate; to join
6. to get into the swing (and sing, dance, etc.)
7. to be deceived; to be taken in
8. to be carried; to be spread; to be scatteredusu. with an adverb of manner, e.g. よく乗る
9. to stick; to attach; to take; to go onusu. with an adverb of manner, e.g. よく乗る
乘る: Out-dated kanji.
1. to finish; to end; to closealso written 了る, 卒る, etc.
終る 【おわる】、了わる 【おわる】、卒わる 【おわる】、畢わる 【おわる】、竟わる 【おわる】
1. to lie down
- ね 。
- I lay on my face.
2. to go to bed; to lie in bed
- ね 。
- I'll be in bed by the time you get home.
3. to sleep (lying down)See also 眠る
- つか 、
- Last night, I was so tired that I fell asleep with the TV on.
4. to sleep (with someone, i.e. have intercourse)
5. to lie idle
寐る: Out-dated kanji.
1. to swim
1. to stand; to rise; to stand upOnly applies to 立つ
- But among you stands one you do not know.
2. to find oneself (e.g. in a difficult position)Only applies to 立つ
- た 。
- The minister was in a fix over illegal dealings.
3. to depart (on a plane, train, etc.)usu. 発つ
- Ah, you're leaving tomorrow!
1. to sing
- What did John sing on the stage?
2. to sing (one's praises in a poem, etc.); to compose a poem; to recite a poemesp. 歌う, 詠う
唄う 【うたう】、謡う 【うたう】、詠う 【うたう】、唱う 【うたう】
1. to ascend; to go up; to climb
- You cannot climb!
2. to ascend (as a natural process, e.g. the sun); to riseusu. 昇る
- The sun was coming up then.
3. to go to (the capital)
4. to be promoted
5. to add up to
- The loss adds up to more than one million dollars.
6. to advance (in price)
- Prices are rising.
7. to swim up (a river); to sail up
- They rowed up the river.
8. to come up (on the agenda)
- こうもく （
- ぎろん ）
- つづ 。
- Let's proceed with the items on the agenda.
登る 【のぼる】、昇る 【のぼる】、陞る 【のぼる】
陞る: Out-dated kanji.
1. to fly; to soaresp. 飛ぶ
2. to jump; to leap; to spring; to bound; to hopesp. 跳ぶ
- The dog jumped over the fence into the garden.
跳ぶ 【とぶ】、翔ぶ 【とぶ】
翔ぶ: Out-dated kanji.
1. to be absent; to take a day off
- やす 。
- He often absents himself from meetings.
2. to rest; to have a break
- やす 。
- He rested for a while.
3. to go to bed; to (lie down to) sleep; to turn in; to retire
- やす 。
- Father is still in bed.
4. to stop doing some ongoing activity for a time; to suspend business
- The enemy attack ceased at dawn.
1. to descend (e.g. a mountain); to go down; to come downesp. 下りる
- The professional skier liked to "hot-dog" down the mountain.
2. to alight (e.g. from bus); to get off; to disembark; to dismountesp. 降りる
- Let's get off here.
3. to step down; to retire; to give up; to quit
4. to be granted; to be issued; to be givenesp. 下りる
5. to form (of frost, dew, mist, etc.)esp. 降りる
- The dew fell this morning.
6. to be passed (from the body; e.g. of a roundworm)See also 下り物, esp. 下りる