Words — 919 found
1. to hear
- You can hear English on Channel 1, and Japanese on Channel 7.
2. to listen (e.g. to music)usu. 聴く
- "Did you hear the lecture in that class yesterday?" asked the student.
3. to ask; to enquire; to queryformal 聴く
4. to learn of; to hear about
5. to follow (advice); to comply with
6. to smell (esp. incense); to sample fragranceOnly applies to 聞く, Only applies to 聴く, See also 香を聞く
聴く 【きく】、訊く 【きく】
1. to write; to compose; to pen
2. to draw; to paintSee also 描く かく
1. to put; to place
- Lay it on the table.
2. to leave (behind)
- As it happens, I have left the camera at home.
3. to establish (an organization, a facility, a position, etc.); to set up
4. to appoint (someone to a certain position); to hire; to employ
5. to place (one's trust, one's faith, etc); to bear (in mind etc)
6. to put down a tool (e.g. a pen) hence stopping what one is doing with that tool
7. to take in (boarders, etc.); to provide lodging in one's house
8. to separate spatially or temporally
9. to do something in advanceUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
- She always keeps her room clean.
10. to leave something in a certain state; to keep something in a certain stateUsually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb
1. to work; to labor; to labour
- はたら 。
- He worked more than five hours on end.
2. to function; to operate; to be effective; to work (i.e. ... works); to come into play
- はたら 。
- The switch didn't work on time.
3. to commit (e.g. a crime); to perpetrate; to do; to act; to practise; to practice
4. to be conjugatedlinguistics terminology
1. to arrive at; to reach
- It will be late autumn when you get to London.
2. to sit on; to sit at (e.g. the table)See also 席に着く
- Go to your respective seats.
1. to play (piano, guitar)
1. to blow (e.g. wind); to play a wind instrument
- ふ 。
- There was a strong wind that day.
2. to emit; to spout
- The trees are shooting out buds.
3. to whistle
4. to laugh; to burst into laughterSlang, See also 吹き出す ふきだす, often in the form 吹いた
5. to smelt; to mint
6. to brag; to talk big
1. to pull
- ひ 。
- The curtains were drawn slowly.
2. to draw (attention, etc.); to attract (interest, etc.)See also 注意を引く
3. to draw back
- Obviously a normal woman would lose interest if she saw a book like that!
4. to draw (a card)
- The card you drew was a red, wasn't it?
5. to draw (plan, line, etc.)See also 図面を引く
- Draw a line from A to B.
6. to catch (cold)See also 風邪を引く
- I had a bad cold, and to make matters worse, it began snowing.
7. to play (string instr.)See also 弾く ひく
- John can't play the guitar.
8. to look up (e.g. dictionary); to consultSee also 辞書を引く
- Look up the word in your dictionary.
9. to haul; to pull (vehicles)esp. 牽く
- み 。
- I saw a horse pulling a cart.
10. to subtract
- のこ 。
- Two from ten leaves eight.
11. to ebb; to fade
- How many days will it take until the swelling goes down?
12. to descend (from); to inherit (a characteristic)
- ひ 。
- The writer was descended from the Greek royal family.
13. to quote; to raise (as evidence)
- Insofar as possible, our examples will be drawn from English.
14. to lay (a cable); to draw (a cable)
- ひ 。
- A submarine cable was laid between the two countries.
曳く 【ひく】、牽く 【ひく】
1. to polish; to shine; to brush (e.g. teeth)
- This metal burnishes well.
2. to refine; to improve
- Nothing could hinder Kate from using all her energy to polish her performances.
1. to sing (bird)
- That pretty bird did nothing but sing day after day.
2. to bark; to purr; to make sound (animal)
- かえ 。
- Let's return when the frog croaks.
1. to be surprised; to be astonished
愕く 【おどろく】、駭く 【おどろく】
1. to open; to undo; to unseal; to unpack
- せんしゅう 、
- ひら 。
- We gave a ball last week.
2. to bloom; to unfold; to spread out
- はじ 。
- Little by little, the buds on the rosebush in my garden begin to open.
3. to open (for business, e.g. in the morning)
4. to be wide (gap, etc.); to widen
5. to hold (meeting, etc.); to give; to open
6. to found (nation, dynasty, sect, etc.); to open (a new business); to set up; to establish; to start
7. to open (ports, borders, etc.)
8. to open (an account)
9. to open up (new land, path, etc.); to clear; to developSee also 拓く
10. to open (a file, etc.)Computer terminology
11. to extract (root); to reduce (equation)Mathematics
12. to cut open (fish)Food term, as 魚を開く
13. to change (kanji into hiragana)
14. to flare (e.g. skirt)
15. to slacken (into a poor posture)Sports term, as 体が開く, 肩が開く, etc.
1. to cry; to weep; to sob; to howl
哭く: Irregular kanji usage.
1. to move; to stir; to shift; to shake; to swing
2. to operate; to run; to go; to work
3. to be touched; to be influenced
4. to change; to vary; to fluctuate; to waver
5. certain; factualas 動かぬ, 動かない, etc.
6. to be transferred
1. to continue; to last; to go on
- How long will this cold weather go on?
2. to continue (without a break); to be unbroken
- There was a continuous line of cars.
3. to occur again and again
- つづ 。
- There have been a lot of airplane accidents recently.
4. to lead to; to connect to; to adjoin
- せま 。
- The road which leads to the hotel is narrow.
5. to come after; to follow; to succeed; to rank next to
6. to hold out; to keep; to last
1. to burn
- Could you cook this meat a little more?
2. to roast; to broil; to grill; to bake; to toast; to barbecue
- I'd like two prints of each.
3. to heat; to heat up
- おも 。
- I am going to try to get a good tan.
4. to make (charcoal, pottery, bricks, etc.); to bake; to fire; to burn
- I hear that you can burn CDs with Windows XP; could you tell me a website that explains the procedures involved?
5. to tan (i.e. suntan); to burnSee also 灼く やく
6. to print (a photo); to burn (an optical disc)
7. to be jealous of; to be envious of; to envySee also 妬く やく
燬く 【やく】、焚く 【やく】
燬く: Out-dated kanji. 焚く: Out-dated kanji.
1. to get dry
1. to grow hot (e.g. water); to boil
- わ 。
- The kettle is boiling.
2. to be in a state of excitement; to get excited; to take place energetically; to erupt (e.g. in applause, cheers)
- わ 。
- All the industries in the city are booming.