Jisho

2d4bf4fbdc107ffc4edafda0443b0335
2 Replies ・ Started by Clkthespaz at 2019-03-22 23:51:46 UTC ・ Last reply by Clkthespaz at 2019-03-23 03:32:44 UTC

Stitching Terminology

So, I've recently come into some difficulties finding the terminology for certain stitches in Japanese. I've found plenty of the katakana translations, but I'm looking for the actual terms in Japanese. The ones that I need are;
Blindstitch
Crossstitch
Pickstitch
Whipstick
Slip Stitch

If anyone would be willing to help I would be so grateful!

133b1aebfcfbbbb161f11b858f5856cd
omerfaruk at 2019-03-23 01:33:49 UTC

I am working for the one of the biggest textile industry in a jeans factory. I will try to answer your questions. But I want to clear that most of this stiching term may differ form company or person. All these words categorized as "縫い代" according to seam allowance we categorize the stiching types.
Blindstich: まつる or まつり (for machine 機械まつり) is used hand stich. Bur for the industy we use "ルイス ステッチ". Actually "ルイス" derived from a company name. Sure you can use "ブラインドステッチ". Beside this I also heard the word of "すくい縫い". But it doesnt look like as blind sticth and commonly used at leather indusrty.
Crossstitch: クロスステッチ is common use. Actually this is common for embroidery​ (刺しゅう) for hand made staff. It is also used for machine stiching. There is also another similar word like "千鳥すてっち" or "千鳥掛け". Since it looks like a chicken walking or drunk walking (also it is named as 千鳥足) it is named like that I think.
Pickstitch: This is also common for handcraft since it is commonly use for hand made staff. If you mean the thin stitch used for the corner of a jacket`s lapel or coin pocket a a jean we can use "コバステッチ". I have no idea aobut the origin of the word but as foa as know this term is only used for 0.2 mm seam allowance. For any other such sticth for bigger seam allowance we use only "ステッチ" or may be "端ステッチ.
Whipstick (you mean whipstitch): I think you can use かがり縫い or ホイップステッチ. I think ホイップステッチ is for leather or thick materials.
Slip Stitch: As I know this term is not for sewing. It is used for knitting. You can use "たてまつり縫い"
Since knitting and sewing is also for home and industry, there maybe lots of difrrent word for a same term. Japan has a long history on knitting and sewing and many imported terms. They have also their own words. Each industy may be affected by a different culture and country. So that there maybe any other word for the same terms you asked. If you find different word please teach me too.
I wish this could help you

2d4bf4fbdc107ffc4edafda0443b0335
Clkthespaz at 2019-03-23 03:32:44 UTC

Thank you so much! I wasn't expecting a reply so quick or so detailed! I owe you one!~

to reply.