Jisho

8c68a8d0ca92d681ddf3c430ba03ea76
1 Reply ・ Started by Hatim95 at 2015-07-20 16:36:47 UTC ・ Last reply by MrKro at 2015-07-21 03:48:36 UTC
This is a discussion about 梅雨

A unique reading for 梅雨

Hi,
This is my first time posting in this forum.
I have faced this word written in hiragana in a Japanese book. The reading is (つゆ) which means rainy season. When I looked it up in Jisho, I got these 2 kanjis. However, neither of the two kanjis has carry these readings (whether it was On or Kun). Can you please explain to me.

事前に感謝!

A64af837f1476b8050425fb077de5f21
MrKro at 2015-07-21 03:48:36 UTC

I believe this is a popular phenomenon in Japanese that is called "ateji", where a word in Japanese has a Kanji that has nothing to do with its reading. This can be explained by the theory that, Japanese people invented the word verbally first, thus the word exists in Hiragana first (as it has a sound). Then for some reason they decided it should have a Kanji too, but the word itself doesn't originate from Chinese nor any other Japanese word, so they forcefully made up (当てる=ateru) a Kanji for it and its Kanji form was born. This is confusing and even confused other Japanese people as it seemed like other people who did not invent the kanji for this word - つゆ, saw it somewhere as 梅雨, did not know how to read, and read it as "ばいう" that is the combination of Kun-yomi's from each of the kanji characters. This resulted in the fact that the word now has (at least) 2 correct-and-common ways to read, つゆ and ばいう. The latter phenomenon is popular too in my observation.

to reply.