Jisho

1ae0c587746637ef7063bb431a949b4e
1 Reply ・ Started by Hernanibus at 2014-02-21 02:54:49 UTC ・ Last reply by Kimtaro Admin at 2014-02-21 06:39:37 UTC
This is a discussion about 事業主

About this particular word and what about the context

Hello everybody,

I'm new here and very grateful to all "jisho" creator/s and to its previous version "Denshi Jisho". I have been using both dictionaries for quite some time now and found them extremely useful and accurate many times.

Regarding accuracy, I found this word at company's work in a mail. Searching the meaning in "jisho" it was translated as "Entrepreneur" which given the context in which I was reading, was pretty much odd. I asked a coworker (Japanese, since I'm living in Japan) and explained me that the meaning was "business owner" hence referring to 社長 in this case, which made completely sense. Every now and then I found such words that basically have the meaning (as before and "entrepreneur") but completely scramble the meaning of the overall context.

Since I'm convince I'm not the only one, I was wondering if it were possible to create a mean to expand the meanings of "jisho" words by users, adding to the current ones. What do you think of my suggestion?

2986330e38386f92fee4774b0c54ed66
Kimtaro Admin at 2014-02-21 06:39:37 UTC

Thanks for the kind words about Jisho!

It is actually already possible to do what you suggest. Jisho uses data from the excellent JMdict project, and they have an online interface where you can suggest changes. On the page for the word on Jisho there is a small "Edit in JMdict" link that will take you to this interface.

For this particular word it's: http://www.edrdg.org/jmdictdb/cgi-bin/edform.py?svc=jmdict&sid=&q=1313730&a=2

As for the meaning of 事業主, Kenkyusha's New Japanese-English Dictionary agrees that it should also mean "business owner".

to reply.