Words — 648 found
1. attempting two tasks at the same time, accomplishing neither; falling between two stools; catching neither the horsefly nor the beeProverb
あぶはち取らず 【あぶはちとらず】、虻蜂とらず 【あぶはちとらず】、アブハチ取らず 【アブハチとらず】
1. love is blind; (when in love) even pockmarks are dimplesUsually written using kana alone, Proverb
1. a man's word is his bond; a man does not go back on what he's saidProverb, See also 二言 にごん
- おとこににごん 。
- Yes, a man is as good as his word. But I'll just be helping, you understand. You'll have to work too.
Common word Links
1. time is moneyProverb
時は金也 【ときはかねなり】、時は金成り 【ときはかねなり】
時は金成り: Irregular kanji usage.
1. more haste, less speed; slow and steady wins the raceProverb
2. Walk, Don't Run (song)"Walk, Don't Run" is an instrumental composition written ... Read more
1. don't count your chickens before they're hatched; counting raccoon dog skins before they have been caughtProverb
獲らぬ狸の皮算用 【とらぬたぬきのかわざんよう】、取らぬ狸の皮算用 【とらぬたぬきのかわざんよう】
1. anybody can look good with the right clothes; clothes make the man; fine feathers make fine birds; clothes on a packhorse driverProverb
1. the end justifies the means; circumstances may justify a lieProverb
1. the greater embraces the less; better too big than too smallProverb
- It might be a bit big but this envelope will do just fine. It's better to be too big than too small.
1. what's done is done; that's water under the bridge; it is no use crying over spilt milk; spilt water won't go back into its trayProverb
覆水盆に帰らず: Irregular kanji usage.
1. a cornered rat will bite a cat; despair turns cowards courageousProverb
- "I don't think she's an opponent you can ignore like that ..." "That's right, they say a cornered rat bites back, don't they?"
1. Heaven's net has large meshes, but nothing escapesProverb
- They say fate will catch up with you. That was God's way of punishing him.
1. the frog in the well knows nothing of the great oceanProverb