Words — 1883 found
1. spacious; vast; wide
弘い 【ひろい】、廣い 【ひろい】、宏い 【ひろい】
1. light; well-lit; well-lighted
- ひか 。
- The diamond shone brightly.
2. bright (of a colour); brightly-coloured; brightly-colored
- The child captivates everyone with his sunny smile.
3. cheerful; bright; spirited; sunny (e.g. disposition)
- You're pretty good with the lay of the land.
4. encouraging (for the future of a project, etc.); promising; of fair prospects
5. familiar (with); knowledgeable (about); well versed (in)as 〜に明るい
6. fair (e.g. politics); clean; impartial
明い: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. near; close; short (distance)
2. close (in time); soon
3. close (relationship); friendly; intimate
4. closely related
5. similar; likeworthy; almost the same
1. painful; sore
- Does it hurt when you chew?
2. cringy; embarrassingColloquialism
3. exceedingSee also 甚く, esp. 甚い
1. weak; frail; delicate; tender; unskilled; weak (wine)
- き 、
- It was the tall man in the long, black coat.
2. dark; blackish; sun-tanned (skin)
- くろ 。
- Nancy is a shade darker than Helen.
3. suspicious; criminal; illicit
- The governor took the money out of a slush fund.
4. darkened and dirty; sooty; covered in dirt
5. evil; wicked; black-hearted
6. inauspicious; ill-boding; unlucky
1. sweet-tasting; sweet; sugary; sugared
- This chocolate is very sweet and tasty.
2. fragrant (smelling); sweet (music)
- かお 。
- Lilies smell sweet.
3. lightly salted; light in salt; not spicy
4. naive; overly optimistic; soft on; generous; indulgent; easy-going; lenientSee also 甘く見る
- I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Mary.
5. half-hearted; not finished properly
6. insufficient; not satisfactory; inadequate; loose
- She was beguiled by his sweet words.
8. tempting; enticing; luringSee also 甘い言葉
1. round; circular; spherical丸い usu. refers to ball-shaped, and 円い to disc-shaped objects
- しん 。
- Columbus believed that the Earth was round.
2. harmonious; calmSee also 丸く収まる
- おさ 。
- He intervened and settled the matter peacefully for the time being.
丸い 【まろい】、円い 【まるい】、円い 【まろい】
まろい: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. まろい: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. thinin ref. to objects, not to people
- Cut the meat into thin slices.
2. pale; light; faint
- He wore a light blue tie.
3. watery; thin; dilute
- つく 。
- I prepared a weak solution of sugar and water.
4. weak (taste, etc.); little (affection, etc.) not much (of a presence)
- I'd like my coffee weak.
5. slim (probability, etc.); small
- うす 。
- There is little hope of my success.
6. sparse; patchy; scattered
1. thin; slender; fine
2. unlucky (billiards slang)Slang
1. fat; thick
- He has a thick neck.
2. deep (of a voice)
3. daring; shameless; brazen
4. lucky (billiards)Slang
1. bad; poor; inferior
- "You look pale. Are you sick?" "Not exactly."
2. evil; sinful
- I'm sorry. I did you wrong.
3. unprofitable; unbeneficial
- This isn't an unappealing proposition, is it?
4. at fault; to blame; in the wrong
- おも 。
- Even given what you say, I still think you are to blame.
- I really shouldn't ask, but could you go get some tofu for me?
惡い 【わるい】、惡るい 【わるい】
惡い: Out-dated kanji. 惡るい: Out-dated kanji.
1. many; numerous; a lot
2. large quantity; large amount
3. frequent; common
1. young; youthful
2. immature; green
3. low (number); small
1. hot; warm; sultry; heatedAntonym: 寒い
2. passionate; impassioned; burning (desire, etc.)
3. on everybody's mind; on the radar; du jour; interested (gaze, etc.)
1. dark; gloomy; murky
- き 。
- I observed that it had already got dark.
2. depressed; dispirited; down in the dumps; dark (mood)
3. dark (in colour); dull
4. ill-boding; dark (e.g. past); suspicious
5. unlikely (to succeed); hopeless; unpromising
6. unfamiliar (with); ignorant (of)Antonym: 明るい, as 〜に暗い
昏い 【くらい】、冥い 【くらい】、闇い 【くらい】
1. heavy; weighty; massiveAntonym: 軽い
- とはかぎ 。
- Great bulk does not always mean great weight.
2. heavy (feeling); depressed; gloomy; blue; uneasy
- "Is he seriously ill?" "I hope not."
3. slow; sluggish; lumbering; ponderous; clumsy
4. important; serious; graveof a position, responsibility, etc.
5. serious; severe; criticalof a punishment, illness, etc.
6. solid; established; dignified; sensible