1. to entrust (e.g. a task) to another; to leave to
- For better or worse, there is nothing for it but to leave the matter in his hands.
2. to passively leave to someone else's facilitiesSee also 想像に任せる
- まか 。
- I'll leave it up to your imagination.
3. to leave to take its natural courseSee also 成り行きに任せる
4. to continue (something) in a natural fashion (without particular aim)
- あるきまわ 。
- I walked around town wherever my feet led me.
5. to rely fully on one's (full strength, great ability, long time taken) to get something doneSee also 力任せ
委せる: Out-dated kanji.
1. leaving everything up to someone else
- He always left the problem of his children's education to his wife.