Words — 2642 found
1. to call out (to); to call; to invoke
- よ 、
- He will come if you call him.
2. to summon (a doctor, etc.)
- い 。
- You invited me to your party, but I can't make it this time.
3. to invite
- たず 。
- "Are you sure you want to call the police?" I asked her.
4. to designate; to name; to brand
- よ 。
- This movie has won great popularity.
5. to garner (support, etc.); to gather
- You will be called Cephas.
6. to take as one's wifeArchaism, See also 娶る
1. dictionary; lexicon
- I refer you to the dictionary for the correct spelling.
2. letter of resignationArchaism, See also 辞表
1. slow; time-consuming; sluggishOnly applies to 遅い, Only applies to 鈍い
- My pulse is slow.
2. late (in the day); towards the end (of the day or night); until a time far into the day or nightOnly applies to 遅い, Only applies to 晩い
- He came home late last night.
3. later (than expected or usual); late; behind schedule; behind time; tardy; overdue; unpunctualOnly applies to 遅い, Only applies to 晩い
- おそ 。
- Spring is late coming this year.
4. too late; having missed the boatOnly applies to 遅い, Only applies to 晩い
5. dull; stupidArchaism, Only applies to 遅い, Only applies to 鈍い
- He cannot be a slow learner.
鈍い 【おそい】、晩い 【おそい】、遲い 【おそい】
遲い: Out-dated kanji.
1. younger brother; little brother; kid brotherHumble (kenjougo)
- とりちが 。
- He mistook me for my younger brother.
2. pupil; apprenticeArchaism, Only applies to てい
弟 【おと】、弟 【おとと】、弟 【てい】
おとと: Irregular kana usage.
1. red; crimson; scarlet; vermilion; vermillion紅い is esp. for scarlet
- Helen blushed at their praise.
2. Red; communist
紅い 【あかい】、朱い 【あかい】、緋い 【あかい】、丹い 【あかい】、赭い 【あかい】
朱い: Out-dated kanji. 緋い: Out-dated kanji. 丹い: Out-dated kanji. 赭い: Out-dated kanji.
1. splendid; nice; wonderful; delicious; sweet
- へ 、
- It's true that there are fewer children due to the falling birthrate, and there are fewer children in the school, but that is all to the good.
2. sufficient; fine (in the sense of "I'm fine"); (by implication) no thank you
- "Can I help you?" "No, thank you. I'm just looking around."
3. well enough; OK; tolerable
- If you wish, you may pick them up, or we would be glad to send them back to you.
4. quite; reasonably; fairly; tolerably
- でんじは 。
- I sit in front of a computer screen all day, so I get pretty heavily bombarded by electro-magnetic waves.
5. construction; architectureArchaism
1. safe; secure; sound; problem-free; without fear; all right; alright; OK; okay
- She is all right at the moment.
2. certainly; surely; undoubtedly
- No, no, that's okay.
3. no thanks; I'm good; that's alrightColloquialism
4. great man; fine figure of a manArchaism, Only applies to だいじょうぶ, See also 大丈夫 だいじょうふ
1. half; semi-
3. odd numberSee also 丁 ちょう
4. unit of land area (595.8 m^2)Archaism
1. that (indicating an item or person near the listener, the action of the listener, or something on their mind); itUsually written using kana alone, See also 何れ, See also 此れ, See also 彼 あれ
- お 、
- Should that happen, what will you do?
2. that time; then
- た 。
- That was when I was in the first year at high school, so 17 years have passed since then.
3. there (indicating a place near the listener)Archaism
其: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. above; up; over; elder (e.g. daughter)
- It's in the overhead compartment.
2. top; summit
- If you stand on this stool, you can reach the top of the closet.
3. surface; on
- Are there any pens on the desk?
4. before; previous
5. superiority; one's superior (i.e. one's elder)
6. on top of that; besides; what's more
- つよ 。
- It was cold, and, in addition, it was windy.
7. upon (further inspection, etc.); based on (and occurring after)
- They acted immediately by agreement.
8. matters concerning...; as concerns ...
9. since (i.e. "for that reason")as ...上は
10. suffix indicating higher social standingHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo), See also 父上
11. place of one's superior (i.e. the throne)Archaism
12. emperor; sovereign; shogun; daimyoArchaism
13. noblewoman (esp. the wife of a nobleman)Archaism
1. to get tired; to tire
- あそ 。
- Then they played "ring-a-ring-a-rosy" until they were tired and thirsty.
2. to be worn out (e.g. of well used objects)
3. to starveArchaism
1. various; all sorts of; variety ofUsually written using kana alone
- ありがと 。
- かきと 。
- Thank you very much for everything. He wrote it down lest he should forget it.
2. various colors (colours)Archaism
1. 10,000; ten thousand萬 is sometimes used in legal documents
- あふれで 。
- 400,000 gallons of oil have spilled out of the pipeline.
3. everything; allOnly applies to よろず
4. variousArchaism, Only applies to よろず
万 【よろず】、萬 【まん】、萬 【よろず】
萬: Out-dated kanji. 萬: Out-dated kanji.
1. cool; refreshing
2. clear (e.g. eyes); bright
3. clear; distinct
4. composed (facial expression); unruffled; unconcernedSee also 涼しい顔 すずしいかお
5. pure; upright; innocentArchaism
Common word JLPT N5 Links
1. digestion (of food)
2. digestion (of information); assimilation; thorough understanding
3. consumption; absorption; using up; meeting (e.g. a quota); completion
4. losing one's form and turning into something elseArchaism, orig. meaning
5. DigestionDigestion is the mechanical and chemical breakdown of foo... Read more
- Down came the rain in torrents.
3. WaterfallA waterfall is a place where water flows over a vertical ... Read more
瀧: Out-dated kanji.
1. kitchen knife; carving knife
2. cooking; foodArchaism
3. Japanese cutleryThere are a number of different types of Japanese kitchen... Read more
- あま 。
- The child played the baby to his mother.
2. young (animal)See also 仔 こ
- あた 。
- A whale is a mammal; in other words it feeds milk to its young.
3. young woman; young geishaalso 娘
- こ 、
- Ha-ha ... She isn't human. She's a robot; A-n-d-r-o-i-d.
5. interestSee also 元も子もない
6. new sharesAbbreviation, See also 子株
7. player who is not a dealer (in cards, mahjong, etc.)See also 親 おや
8. bird eggArchaism
- He was born within the sound of the Bow bells.
9. -er (often of young women)after a noun or -masu stem