Jisho

5203071cbab0611fdde41392b71888be
6 Replies ・ Started by Elrad at 2019-02-18 16:03:54 UTC ・ Last reply by Elrad at 2019-02-21 18:17:13 UTC

先生 or 教師 and "Custom officer" and kana writing

Hello everyone,

I'm Elrad, not new to this website because I use it a lot but new to these forums so, Glad to be among you today. I'm still a beginner in japanese so maybe the following questions will look a bit dummy.

I'm facing three small problems :

I] when introducing myself. In みんなの日本語, 第一課, it's written that when you speak about your own job, you never say "私 は 先生 です" but "私 は 教師 です".

My previous japanese teacher gave us that line of manuals to use but my current one does not use it and teaches us to say "私 は 先生 です". Is she wrong or can we say both expressions to speak about being an actual teacher (at school or at university) ?

II] Another question raised when I saw that in her sheets she calls a "custom officer" a "Zeikan-in" but everywhere I just find the expression : "税関吏 [ぜいかんり]"....Is she right or is there something wrong ?

III] Finally, That's just a simple question regarding the writing of two kanas : [さ] and [き]. When I read various texts, they can be written like this or detached. My current teacher tells us that writing those two kanas the way I've transcripted them here before is wrong and in case of an exam I could lose marks if I write it like this...But even on the website of the JPLT it's written like this here above.

Excuse me for the load of questions at once, and thank you in advance for any clarification you'll be able to provide, and also, English is not my mother language so if I'm not clear enough, tell me so I could rephrase my message.

Regards,

Elrad

6ee23c5fa55b37168c3f360dded0acaa
Leebo at 2019-02-18 16:22:03 UTC

I don't have time to answer all the questions, but

Regarding さ and き, the connected versions are only seen in fonts. When you say it's "written" like that on the JLPT site, you're talking about a font, right? There are many shapes regularly seen in fonts that are considered incorrect for handwriting. If you ever take a writing exam like the Kanji Kentei, there are many small details to be aware of to get full credit for written characters.

Elrad at 2019-02-18 18:45:07 UTC

Oh I see !

Thank you yes I was talking about the fonts on the websites. I'll check that Kanji Kentei to see if I can find more details abut the correct "handwriting"

76bf3a2d41dc2f961bdf60f18da90d75
Kakasi at 2019-02-19 04:56:15 UTC

先生 is a respect appellation of teacher、doctor、attorney、parliamentarian and so on. Japanese are modest,in most cases, they don't call thenselves 先生 but are called 先生.
税関員is the same as税関吏, however the later is suitable for using in antient times.

Elrad at 2019-02-20 20:29:13 UTC

Thank you for your answer, sorry for answering so late.

I've got another question : Today the same teacher came to us with something I found strange : about the demonstrative : これ、それ、あれ.

I had learned with my previous teacher that これ refers to everything next to or in the close area around the locutor, that それ refers to everything in the surroundings of the interlocutor and あれ to everything that is far from both locutor and interlocutor.
;
Today, then, she asks me to tell her where was a student she gave me the name of within the classroom. The student in question was clearly away from me and from her. So I said : "彼は あれ です" The she says me : "No, he's not that far away from me and you so, you say "それ です".

Is that correct ? I mean, I've learned in Minna no nihongo that with the series この、その、あの, if both locutor and interlocutor are in the same spot, you can use sono to point at an object not that far from both of them. But Minna no Nihongo doesn't say anyhting similar for the これ、それ、あれ series....

Thanks again for the help already provided !

6ee23c5fa55b37168c3f360dded0acaa
Leebo at 2019-02-20 23:12:02 UTC

Personally, I think the bigger thing is that これ / それ / あれ is not the correct form of こそあど word to use for where a person is. I wasn't there, so I can't comment on whether そ or あ was more appropriate based on proximity, but using これ / それ / あれ with a person is going to sound like "this / that thing."

To me 彼はあれです sounds like "He's that thing over there."

こちら / そちら / あちら seems like the appropriate set to use for referring to the location of people.

Elrad at 2019-02-21 18:17:13 UTC

Ooops Indeed ! How didn't I notice it ? Thanks for saying this....Well I guess I'll have to extra-cautious. Thanks for answering by the way :-)

to reply.