3 Replies ・ Started by radlsf at 2017-10-02 16:08:07 UTC ・ Last reply by radlsf at 2017-10-02 18:02:59 UTC
This is a discussion about

Google Japanese keyboard

What does it mean when you see this [全] next to autocorrect entries on the Google Japanese keyboard? Might be foreign words, but if so why 全?

Zengor at 2017-10-02 17:24:06 UTC

It's short for 全角, meaning full-width, as an easier way of telling which it is (as opposed to looking and figuring out).
Full-width characters occupy the "full" space of a character, while half-width occupies only half (in fixed width fonts, but the terminology extends). In other words, Half-width characters are what we normally type in English, the full-width versions of the roman alphabet occupy as much space as a kanji character
As a comparison:

There are also half-width versions of kana characters: か→カ

Zengor at 2017-10-02 17:25:44 UTC

A small clarification: there are half-width versions of katakana characters, no hiragana.

radlsf at 2017-10-02 18:02:59 UTC

Ah, thank you! If I expand the autocorrect
options I can see the 半角 options too. E.g., コーヒー [全] or コーヒー [半].

to reply.