Words — 34 found
1. to polish; to shine; to brush (e.g. teeth); to grind (e.g. lens)
- This metal burnishes well.
2. to refine (e.g. a skill); to improve; to cultivate
- Nothing could hinder Kate from using all her energy to polish her performances.
研く 【みがく】、琢く 【みがく】
1. to change into; to convert to; to transform; to be reduced; to influence; to improve (someone)See also 化する
けす: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
JLPT N1 Links
1. to change into; to convert into; to transform; to be reduced; to influence; to improve (someone)
1. to recover; to rally; to improve; to pick up
持直す 【もちなおす】、持ちなおす 【もちなおす】
1. to change; to alter; to revise; to replaceOnly applies to 改める, Only applies to 革める
2. to reform; to correct; to mend; to improveOnly applies to 改める, Only applies to 革める
3. to examine; to check; to inspectOnly applies to 改める, Only applies to 検める
4. to do properly; to do formallyOnly applies to 改める, Only applies to 革める
検める 【あらためる】、革める 【あらためる】
1. to advance; to go forward
2. to precede; to go ahead (of)
3. to make progress; to improve
4. to deepen; to heighten
5. to be fast (of a clock); to be ahead
6. to do of one's own free willSee also 進んで
1. to improve; to get better; to convalesce
快方にむかう 【かいほうにむかう】、快方に向う 【かいほうにむかう】
1. to become opened up; to improve; to get better
- There will be an answer.
2. to develop; to progress; to become civilized (civilised); to be up-to-date
3. to be enlightened; to be sensible
1. to point upward; to look upwardAntonym: 下向く
2. to improve
- どちらかとい 、
- うわむ 。
- If anything, the economy in our country is going up.
1. to look at again
2. to re-examine (policy, estimate, plan, etc.); to review
3. to get a better opinion of; to see in a more positive light
4. to improve; to recover (market, illness, etc.)
1. to make good; to improveUsually written using kana alone
- Figuring a way to make a dollar comes ahead of thinking about how to do the job better.
2. to do oftenUsually written using kana alone
- This is a mistake students are apt to make.
3. to do wellUsually written using kana alone
- My mother looks after the plants well.
善くする 【よくする】、能くする 【よくする】
1. to regain one's footing; to get back on one's feet
2. to recover; (of the market) to improve
立ちなおる 【たちなおる】、立直る 【たちなおる】
1. to rise; to go up; to come up; to ascend; to be raisedAntonym: 下がる
- It has been announced that railway fares will be raised by 10 percent starting on the first of March.
2. to enter (esp. from outdoors); to come in; to go in
- My father has just come out of the bath.
3. to enter (a school); to advance to the next grade
4. to get out (of water); to come ashore
- I always get nervous just before a match.
5. to increasealso written as 騰る in ref. to price
- Taxi fares will go up next month.
6. to improve; to make progress
7. to be promoted; to advance
8. to be made (of profit, etc.)
9. to occur (esp. of a favourable result)
10. to be adequate (to cover expenses, etc.)often as 〜で上がる
11. to be finished; to be done; to be over
- "Kaname, when can you leave?" "It's till closing so it takes till eight."
12. (of rain) to stop; to lift
- "Will it stop raining soon?" "I'm afraid not."
13. to stop (working properly); to cut out; to give out; to die
- よくじつ 、
- あが 。
- The next day the battery was flat again.
14. to win (in a card game, etc.)
15. to be arrestedOnly applies to 挙がる
16. to turn up (of evidence, etc.)Only applies to 挙がる
17. to be deep friedOnly applies to 揚がる
- こ 。
- Keiichi, the tempura's done, so bring a plate.
18. to be spoken loudly
- いっぽう 、小泉
- あ 。
- While welcoming the firming up of the present government policy to abandon the proposal of the reform bill to the Diet, at the same time some are worried that Prime Minister Koizumi won't clearly state the bill's withdrawal.
19. to get stage fright
- I never make a speech without being nervous.
20. to be offered (to the gods, etc.)
21. to go; to visitHumble (kenjougo)
- あ 。
- I will call for it tomorrow.
22. to eat; to drinkHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
23. to be listed (as a candidate)esp. 挙がる
24. to serve (in one's master's home)
25. to go northin Kyoto
26. indicates completionSee also 出来上がる, after the -masu stem of a verb
揚がる 【あがる】、挙がる 【あがる】、上る 【あがる】
上る: Irregular okurigana usage.
1. to stretch; to extend; to lengthen; to grow (of hair, height, grass, etc.)
- This sweater is all stretched out of shape.
2. to straighten out; to be flattened; to become smooth
- The cat took advantage of the high grass to creep on the bird.
3. to spread (of paint, cream, etc.)
4. to stretch out (e.g. of a hand); to extend
5. to lose elasticity; to become slack; to become soggy (e.g. noodles)
6. to make progress; to develop; to expand; to increase; to improveOnly applies to 伸びる
- The meeting has been put off until next week.
7. to be exhausted; to be groggy; to pass out; to collapseOnly applies to 伸びる
8. to be prolonged (meeting, life span, etc.); to be extended (e.g. deadline); to lengthen (e.g. of the days)Only applies to 延びる
9. to be postponed; to be delayed; to be putt offOnly applies to 延びる
1. to raise; to elevateSee also 手を挙げる
- くだ 。
- If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
2. to do up (one's hair)See also 髪を上げる
- I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
3. to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
- The fireworks were set off on all sides.
4. to land (a boat)
- They drew the boat on the beach.
5. to deep-fryOnly applies to 揚げる
- あげ 。
- This chicken is fried well.
6. to show someone (into a room)
7. to summon (for geishas, etc.)Usually written using kana alone, Only applies to 揚げる
8. to send someone (away)
9. to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
- He gave a loud cry for help.
10. to increase (price, quality, status, etc.); to develop (talent, skill); to improve
- あ 。
- The store raised all the prices.
11. to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)See also 声を上げる
- い 。
- He cried out and ran away.
12. to earn (something desirable)
- あ 。
- He got wonderful results.
13. to praise
14. to give (an example, etc.); to citeusu. 挙げる
- きしゃ ：
- Reporter: Can you give me an example?
15. to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)usu. 挙げる
- Fight with all your might.
16. to arrestOnly applies to 挙げる
17. to nominateOnly applies to 挙げる
- あ 。
- I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
18. to givePolite (teineigo)
- Do you sometimes give your sister money?
19. to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)
20. to bear (a child)
21. to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)usu. 挙げる
- あ 。
- I held a wedding ceremony last month.
22. (of the tide) to come in
23. to vomit
24. to do for (the sake of someone else)Usually written using kana alone, Polite (teineigo), after the -te form of a verb
- I will show you how to solve it.
25. to complete ...See also 作り上げる, after the -masu stem of a verb
26. to humbly do ...Humble (kenjougo), See also 申し上げる, after the -masu stem of a humble verb to increase the level of humility
27. Deep fryingDeep frying is a cooking method in which food is submerge... Read more
挙げる 【あげる】、揚げる 【あげる】