Words — 1 found
1. to hang (e.g. picture); to hoist (e.g. sail); to raise (e.g. flag)See also 壁にかける
- Put your coat on a hanger.
2. to sitSee also 腰を掛ける
- Please have a seat.
3. to take (time, money); to expend (money, time, etc.)See also 時間を掛ける
- The train was on the point of leaving when I got to the station.
4. to make (a call)See also 電話を掛ける
- I hesitate to pay so much for a suit.
5. to multiply
- Can I make a phone call for ten yen?
6. to secure (e.g. lock)See also 鍵を掛ける
- Four multiplied by two is eight.
7. to put on (glasses, etc.)See also 眼鏡を掛ける
- か 、
- い 。
- The car is kept in a garage, under cover and locked.
8. to cover
- The lady wore a necklace of pearls.
9. to burden someoneSee also 迷惑を掛ける
- The waitress spread a white cloth over the table.
10. to apply (insurance)See also 保険を掛ける
- I really appreciate all the trouble you've gone to.
11. to turn on (an engine, etc.); to set (a dial, an alarm clock, etc.)
- か 。
- The freight was insured against all risks.
12. to put an effect (spell, anaesthetic, etc.) on
- Bob and Mary play the recorder.
13. to hold an emotion for (pity, hope, etc.)
- I'll bewitch him into a frog!
14. to bindalso 繋ける
- Everybody showed sympathy toward the prisoner.
15. to pour (or sprinkle, spray, etc.) ontoSee also 塩をかける
- Do up the box with decorative tape.
16. to argue (in court); to deliberate (in a meeting); to present (e.g. idea to a conference, etc.)See also 裁判に掛ける
- The cook hasn't put any on it.
17. to increase further
- The question is before the committee.
18. to catch (in a trap, etc.)
19. to set atop
20. to erect (a makeshift building)
21. to hold (a play, festival, etc.)
22. to wager; to bet; to risk; to stake; to gambleSee also 賭ける かける
23. to be partway doing ...; to begin (but not complete) ...; to be about to ...See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb
- But the farmer smiled at him.
24. indicates (verb) is being directed to (someone)See also 話し掛ける, after -masu stem of verb