Words — 143 found
1. to swim
- Can you swim across the river?
1. to take off (clothes, shoes, etc.); to undress
- Do I have to take off my shoes here?
1. to hurry; to rush; to hasten; to make something happen sooner
- いそ 。
- Nick hurried to catch the bus.
1. to make noise; to make racket; to be noisy
2. to rustle; to swoosh
3. to make merry
4. to clamor; to clamour; to make a fuss; to kick up a fuss
5. to lose one's cool; to panic; to act flustered
6. to feel tense; to be uneasy; to be excited
騷ぐ: Out-dated kanji.
1. to pour (into); to fillSee also 注ぐ つぐ
- そそ 、
- つ 。
- I poured the wine in a plastic bag and then dipped it in ice water.
2. to sprinkle on from above; to shed (e.g. tears)
- そそ 。
- The room was bathed in sunshine.
3. to concentrate one's spirit (strength, attention) on
- そそ 。
- He concentrated his energies on helping his friend.
4. to fall onto (of rain, snow)
- そそ 。
- The river descends from the mountains to the bay below.
灌ぐ 【そそぐ】、潅ぐ 【そそぐ】、濺ぐ 【そそぐ】、漑ぐ 【そそぐ】
1. to earn income; to labor; to labour
- I've got to earn my own living.
1. to connect; to link togetherUsually written using kana alone
2. to tie; to fasten; to restrainUsually written using kana alone
3. to maintain; to preserve; to keepUsually written using kana alone
4. to transfer (phone call); to put a person throughUsually written using kana alone
5. to hedge; to buy or sell forwardUsually written using kana alone
1. to defend (against); to protect; to prevent
- ふせ 。
- Salt preserves fish from decay.
禦ぐ 【ふせぐ】、拒ぐ 【ふせぐ】
1. to rank next to; to come after
- びとく 。
- Cleanliness is next to godliness.
2. to stand in the way; to obstruct
3. to occupy; to fill up; to take upSee also 塞がる
4. to perform one's role; to do one's duty
5. to feel depressed; to mopeSee also 鬱ぐ ふさぐ
1. to sniff; to smell
- The dog sniffed at the stranger.
1. to shoulder; to carry on one's shoulder
- かつ 。
- The man threw a bag across his shoulder.
2. to nominate for a position; to choose as a representative
- Are you going to play tricks on me again, you naughty boy?
3. to take (someone) for a ride; to deceive; to take in
4. to be caught up in superstition
1. to fan
2. to incite; to instigate
1. to step over; to step across; to stride over; to stride across; to crossUsually written using kana alone
2. to stretch over; to span; to bridge; to saddle; to straddleUsually written using kana alone
1. to succeed (someone in a business or inheritance)
- Who will succeed to the throne?
続ぐ 【つぐ】、嗣ぐ 【つぐ】、襲ぐ 【つぐ】
1. to inherit; to succeed; to take over
- He has no claim to the property.
1. to row; to scull; to paddleUsually written using kana alone, See also 舟を漕ぐ
2. to pedal (e.g. bicycle)
3. to swing (on a swing)
4. to operate a hand pump
5. to push through (deep snow, the jungle, etc.)
1. to endure; to keep out (e.g. rain); to stave off (e.g. starvation)
2. to pull through; to get over; to survive
3. to surpass; to outdo; to excel; to eclipse; to defy; to slight
1. to look up (at)
- あお 。
- He looked up at the sky.
2. to look up (to); to respect; to revere
- あお 。
- He was respected as their teacher.
3. to ask for; to seek
- あお 。
- I look to him for direction in everything.
4. to turn to someone; to depend on
- あお 。
- Japan depends on overseas countries for the supply of raw cotton.
5. to gulp down; to quaff; to take (e.g. poison)
1. to sharpen; to hone; to whet; to grind
2. to wash (rice)esp. 磨ぐ
3. to scour; to polish; to burnish
磨ぐ 【とぐ】、砥ぐ 【とぐ】