Words — 1804 found
1. warrior; samurai
3. Samuraiis the term for the military nobility of pre-industrial J... Read more
武士 【もののふ】、武夫 【ぶふ】
1. to be (usu. of inanimate objects); to exist; to liveUsually written using kana alone, See also 居る いる
- Excuse me; allow me to point out three errors in the above article.
2. to haveUsually written using kana alone
- I'm sorry, I have another engagement.
3. to be locatedUsually written using kana alone
4. to be equipped withUsually written using kana alone
5. to happen; to come aboutUsually written using kana alone
1. to make; to produce; to manufacture; to build; to construct造る usu. for large-scale building, manufacturing, etc. 創る usu. for creating
- つく 。
- Wherever he may go, he is sure to make friends.
2. to prepare (food); to brew (alcohol)
- つく 。
- You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs.
3. to raise; to grow; to cultivate; to trainSee also 野菜を作る
- It's much cheaper to live on grains and vegetables you can grow in your garden.
4. to till
5. to draw up (a document); to make out; to prepare; to write
- You should try to produce grammatical sentences.
6. to create (an artistic work, etc.); to compose
- つく 、
- Desktop publishing lets you produce books quickly and cheaply. It's like killing two birds with one stone.
7. to coin (a phrase); to organize; to organise; to establish; to found
8. to have (a child)
9. to make up (one's face, etc.)
10. to fabricate (an excuse, etc.)
11. to form (a line, etc.)
12. to set (a record)
- おも 。
- I insist that exceptions not be made.
13. to commit (a sin, etc.)
造る 【つくる】、創る 【つくる】
1. long (distance)Only applies to 長い
- の 。
- Her hair grew back.
2. long (time); lengthy
- It'll be a long time before she gets over her father's death.
1. to stand; to rise; to stand upOnly applies to 立つ
- But among you stands one you do not know.
2. to find oneself (e.g. in a difficult position)Only applies to 立つ
- た 。
- The minister was in a fix over illegal dealings.
3. to depart (on a plane, train, etc.)usu. 発つ
- Ah, you're leaving tomorrow!
1. to ascend; to go up; to climb
- You cannot climb!
2. to ascend (as a natural process, e.g. the sun); to riseusu. 昇る
- The sun was coming up then.
3. to go to (the capital)
4. to be promoted
5. to add up to
- The loss adds up to more than one million dollars.
6. to advance (in price)
- Prices are rising.
7. to swim up (a river); to sail up
- They rowed up the river.
8. to come up (on the agenda)
- こうもく （
- ぎろん ）
- つづ 。
- Let's proceed with the items on the agenda.
登る 【のぼる】、昇る 【のぼる】、陞る 【のぼる】
陞る: Out-dated kanji.
1. to fly; to soaresp. 飛ぶ
2. to jump; to leap; to spring; to bound; to hopesp. 跳ぶ
- The dog jumped over the fence into the garden.
跳ぶ 【とぶ】、翔ぶ 【とぶ】
翔ぶ: Out-dated kanji.
1. to stop (moving); to come to a stop
- と 。
- Then the train screeched to a halt.
2. to stop (doing, working, being supplied); to come to a halt; to cease; to be stopped; to be suspended
- Partly because he could not receive enough information, Harper's description remains imperfect.
3. to alight; to perch on
- Some birds are sitting on the branch of that tree.
留まる 【とまる】、停まる 【とまる】、駐まる 【とまる】、止る 【とまる】、留る 【とまる】
1. to work (for); to be employed (at); to serve (in)usu. 勤める
- つとめ 。
- My father serves in the Foreign Ministry.
2. to serve (as); to act (as); to fill (the position of); to play the role (of)usu. 務める
- She was a bridesmaid at the wedding.
3. to conduct a religious serviceusu. 勤める
1. round; circular; spherical丸い usu. refers to ball-shaped, and 円い to disc-shaped objects
- しん 。
- Columbus believed that the Earth was round.
2. harmonious; calmSee also 丸く収まる
- おさ 。
- He intervened and settled the matter peacefully for the time being.
丸い 【まろい】、円い 【まるい】、円い 【まろい】
まろい: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage. まろい: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
1. to meet; to encounter; to see逢う is often used for close friends, etc. and may be associated with drama or pathos; 遭う may have an undesirable nuance
- おぼえ 。
- I remember seeing him before.
2. to have an accident; to have a bad experienceUsually written using kana alone, esp. 遭う when in kanji
逢う 【あう】、遭う 【あう】、遇う 【あう】
1. to understand; to comprehend; to grasp; to see; to get; to followUsually written using kana alone
- い 。
- "I understand how you feel, Hiroshi," says Mike.
2. to become clear; to be known; to be discovered; to be realized; to be realised; to be found outUsually written using kana alone
- I see that he is an able man.
解る 【わかる】、判る 【わかる】、分る 【わかる】
1. to go out (e.g. on an excursion or outing); to leave; to depart; to start; to set out
2. to be about to leave; to be just going out
1. to attach; to join; to add; to append; to affix; to stick; to glue; to fasten; to sew on; to apply (ointment)
- Put your coat on my account.
2. to furnish (a house with)
- つ 。
- When my home had an extension built I only had this room fitted with soundproofing and an internal lock.
3. to wear; to put on
- He who wears armor falls with a big crash!
4. to keep a diary; to make an entry
5. to appraise; to set (a price)
- They mark down goods at that shop.
6. to allot; to budget; to assign
7. to bring alongside
8. to place (under guard or doctor)
- The policeman followed him.
9. to follow; to shadowSee also 跡をつける
10. to load; to give (courage to)
11. to keep (an eye on)
12. to establish (relations or understanding)
- No sooner had Tom turned on the TV than the fuse blew.
13. to turn on (light)See also 点ける
14. to produce flowers; to produce fruitof a plant
着ける 【つける】、附ける 【つける】
1. to lose somethingUsually written using kana alone
- She lost her new watch.
2. to get rid ofUsually written using kana alone, usu. 無くす
- To get the nation's economy out of the red, more foreign aid had to be pumped in.
3. to lose someone (wife, child, etc.)Only applies to 亡くす
- Everyone sympathized with the parents about their son's death.
亡くす 【なくす】、失くす 【なくす】
失くす: Irregular kanji usage.
1. wife; your wife; his wife; married lady; madamHonorific or respectful (sonkeigo)
1. year after next
1. interview (e.g. for a job)
2. Job interviewA job interview is a process in which a potential employe... Read more